FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS.
You can apply online or applications are available at all Oklahoma county sheriffs’ offices, by contacting the OSBI or on this website .
You must successfully complete a firearms safety and training course from a certified SDA firearms instructor and demonstrate competency and qualification with a pistol authorized for carry by the Oklahoma Self‑Defense Act. You will submit the original certificate of training with your application for a handgun license. No duplicate, copy, facsimile or other reproduction of the certificate of training or exemption from training shall be acceptable as proof of training. Certificates expires after three years.
If you are exempt from the training requirements, you must show the required proof to an SDA firearms instructor to receive an exemption certificate. The original exemption certificate must be submitted with your application.
The following individuals may be exempt from all or part of the required training and qualification course:
1. A firearms instructor registered with the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation for purposes of the Oklahoma Self‑Defense Act;
2. An active duty law enforcement officer of this state or any of its political subdivisions or of the federal government;
3. A retired law enforcement officer authorized by this state pursuant to Section 1289.8 of
this title to carry a firearm;
4. A CLEET-certified armed security officer, armed guard, correctional officer, or any other person having a CLEET certification to carry a firearm in the course of their employment;
5. A person on active military duty, National Guard duty or regular military reserve duty who is a legal resident of this state and who is trained and qualified in the use of handguns;
6. A person honorably discharged from active military duty, National Guard duty or military reserves within twenty (20) years preceding the date of the application for a handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self‑Defense Act, who is a legal resident of this state, and who has been trained and qualified in the use of handguns;
7. A person retired as a peace officer in good standing from a law enforcement agency located in another state, who is a legal resident of this state, and who has received training equivalent to the training required for CLEET certification in this state; and
8. Any person who is otherwise deemed qualified for a training exemption by CLEET.
First time applicants and expired renewals (over 3 years since license expiration) are $100 for a 5-year license and $200 for a 10-year license.