How To Change Your Verizon Wireless Phone And Keep Your Number (And Your Sanity)
December 28th, 2007 (903,638 views) by Pinny Cohen
I recently changed my Verizon Wireless phone, and figured I would share with you the exact steps necessary to do this (while my memory is still fresh). Considering Verizon Wireless has more than 63.7 million customers, I’m sure quite a few readers here either had this question, or will have a need for this within the next few months. Don’t worry, it really isn’t hard, although I wish their toll free line would do a better job of getting me a human instead of a machine for the first 10 minutes.
1) Some phones can be activated right from your Verizon account online, while others can’t. Check if your phone can be activated by logging in to your account > My Account > My Phone > Activate Phone. (if this works, skip to step
2) If they give you an error message, call 800-922-0204 and tell the machine that you want to change your phone. You’ll need to call from a different phone, since your old cell phone needs to be turned off to make the switch. Turn off your new phone also.
3) Take out the battery from your old phone and find the ESN number or the HEX number and be ready to enter the number or tell the customer service rep.
4) You’ll need to turn on your new phone, and dial *228 to activate and program your new phone to work. Press “1″ after you hear a voice prompt. You will hear music and then be asked to “commit OK”, which just means press “OK”.
5) Your phone should turn itself off, and then back on all by itself. Try calling your number from a different phone to make sure the phone is activated, and enjoy!