The Payment Voucher (PV) is the only procedural method by which departments may request demand payments. Payment Vouchers are submitted and processed through the Oracle Integrated System application.
- Demand payments up to specified limits for commodities purchased directly by departments which are defined as eligible on the Goods and Services Procurement Guide.
Access to the Payment Voucher
- All the requirements for access to the Integrated System application in general must be met.
- You must have PO Purchaser responsibility in the Integrated System application.
Confirming Payee in the Integrated System Supplier List
The payee must be present in the Integrated System Supplier List before a Payment Voucher can be saved or submitted.
To determine if the payee is present in the list, query by TAX ID. per your Integrated System training and referencing Integrated System Navigation Instructions as needed. Querying by name is not sufficient to make this determination.
If the payee is present in the list :
- If this is a reimbursement or refund to a student, please confirm that the supplier pay site has a complete address. If the address is not complete or is incorrect, instruct the Student to update their information in the Student Information System (SIS). When this is done, the new or corrected information will automatically update the Integrated System Supplier information.
- For other payees, confirm that the pay site is the one you need. If another pay site is needed, or the information is incorrect, submit a Vendor Site Add/Update for Departments form.
You will be notified by e-mail when your change has been processed.
- Payees can update their own information using the Vendor/Individual Site Add/Update form.
If the payee is NOT present in the list. you may need to add the payee as a vendor:
- Obtain the payee's TAX ID and contact information. Include mailing address, e-mail address and phone, if available.
- Query by TAX ID to be positive the payee is not present. if you have not already done so. If the payee is still not found, you will need to add the vendor.
Adding a Vendor for a Payment Voucher
Add the payee to the Supplier List per your Integrated System training and referencing Integrated System Navigation Instructions as needed.
Do not save the form until all information is complete and correct, because this form cannot be changed once it has been saved.
- Enter all information in all CAPITALS.
- For payment without delay for a refund or a payment to a research study participant, you may request this by entering "Research" or "Refund" as appropriate in the "Special Status" field before you save the form .
- If immediate payment is needed for reimbursement of a Medical Center employee. you may request this by entering "Hospital" in the "Special Status" field before you save the form .
- To use the vendor for a Payment Voucher, You MUST include a "Pay Site". Site uses are indicated by checkboxes in the "Site Uses" alternate region of the "Supplier Sites" screen.
- Contact information is required. You must enter it before you save the form. in the "Contacts" alternate region on the "Supplier Sites" screen.
- Enter E-mail address in the e-mail area.
- If you requested immediate payment as described above, you must supply complete mailing and payment information on the pay site.
- To add or correct information after saving the form. use the Vendor Site Add/Update for Departments form.
Ensure vendor registration
When the Vendor Add form is saved in the Integrated System, the payee is added to the Integrated System Supplier list on "Payment Hold". The vendor will be available for use, but cannot be paid until this hold is removed by PSDS after receipt, review, and approval of registration information. The vendor will be taken off hold within 3 days of registration.
The vendor cannot be paid without registration (one exception noted below).
- If you utilized the exception procedure described above to request payment without delay for a payment to a research study participant, a refund, or for reimbursement of a Medical Center employee. the requirement for vendor registration is waived. By waiving this requirement, you authorize the immediate release of the vendor hold and accept the responsibility of providing a W-9 for the payee if requested by PSDS.
- In all other cases. direct the payee to register with the University as a vendor on "Information for Vendors " on this website.
- If there is some compelling reason why the vendor cannot access the vendor registration form online. the departmental user should instruct the vendor to contact PSDS. who will provide whatever assistance is needed. If the vendor is unable to do this, the department should request assistance from the Vendor File Coordinator. Under no circumstances should a departmental user submit the vendor registration form on behalf of a vendor.
- If the vendor does not submit the registration form and neither the departmental user nor the vendor contacts one of Vendor File Coordinators for assistance. PSDS will attempt to contact the vendor and obtain registration, provided sufficient information for contact was supplied by the
departmental user. This could result in delayed payment.
Entering the Payment Voucher
Before Submitting the PV
- Confirm the payee and address as described above.
- Complete required supporting documentation, and obtain necessary signatures. If documentation can be saved as a file on your PC, do that also.
- Remember that in the Integrated System, a separate Payment Voucher will be required for each payment to a supplier or individual.
Submitting the PV in the Integrated System
- Create and submit a Payment Voucher per your Integrated System training and referencing Integrated System Navigation Instructions as needed. Attach any documentation that is available in electronic form to the Payment Voucher in the Integrated System before submitting.
- Before closing the Payment Voucher, record the Voucher number on all paper documentation.
- Payment Vouchers for expenditure types defined as "high risk" in the Integrated System application will be placed on hold until reviewed and approved by Accounts Payable. All other payments are reviewed but are not placed on hold unless a problem is detected.
Printing a Payment Voucher
A "plain paper" Payment Voucher may be printed in the Integrated System application by requesting the report "UVA Payment Voucher/Invoice Report" per your Integrated System training and referencing the ISDS website's Integrated System Navigation Instructions as necessary. Some tips:
- Remember to provide beginning and ending Voucher Numbers when requesting the report, even if you are printing only one -- otherwise you may inadvertently print a LOT of them.
- You may change "Copies" from 0 to 1 (or more) in "Completion Options" from your "Requests" screen, designate any printer in your area that is registered to the Integrated System as the target printer, and print a hard copy.
- You may also run the report request without changing "Copies" and without designating a printer, and view the output in your browser, using the browser's print function to print the paper copy.
Required Paper Documentation
Due to the more sensitive nature of Payment Vouchers, electronic submission in the Integrated System and the retention of paper documentation are both required. Documentation requirements for various kinds of Payment Vouchers are clearly defined in Financial and Administrative Procedures -- Preparing Payment Vouchers .
For Travel and Petty Cash Payment Vouchers only, properly signed and dated original paper copies of all supporting documentation must be submitted to PSDS. Payment Vouchers of these types cannot be reviewed and approved until correct documentation is received. Copies of this documentation must also be retained in the department, in Voucher Number order, as specified in the Records Retention and Disposition Policy .
For Petty Cash, a paper print of the Payment Voucher is required. See "Printing " above for more information on printing the Payment Voucher.
For all other types of Payment Vouchers, complete original paper documentation must be retained in the department, in Voucher Number order, as specified in the Records Retention and Disposition Policy .
Checks Which Require Attached Documents
Sometimes there are documents which must be mailed with a check, which means that the check must be held without mailing until the document can be attached. For correct processing of all of your check attachments, please follow these instructions very carefully. The procedures will differ depending on whether you mail the check and attachment yourself or have PSDS mail them, and on whether original documents are required for the attachment.
If you would like PSDS to hold the check and mail it only after receiving the check attachment document(s) from you:
- You must select "All approvals have been obtained" and "Documentation must go with the check" in the Actions. 1 window in the Payment Voucher.
- DO NOT also select "Hold for Pickup" or "Prepayment". This is very important.
- You must mark the Voucher Number on the document to be attached regardless of how the document will be submitted to Procurement Services.
- If the check attachment is not required to be an original document, we encourage you to transmit it to PSDS using our new dedicated fax line at 434-982-2001. Please do not use this line for any other purpose.
- If the check attachment must be an original document, or if you do not wish to fax the document, you must forward it to PSDS at the Accounts Payable address in a separate envelope clearly marked "Payment Attachment". Include all documents required for the check in the same envelope, but do not include any other documents.
If you wish to retain the documentation in your office and mail the check and attachments yourself:
- You must select "All approvals have been obtained" and "Hold for Pickup" in the Actions. 1 window in the Payment Voucher
- DO NOT also select "Documentation must go with the check" or "Prepayment". This is very important.
- Pick the check up at the Cashier's Office in Carruthers Hall and mail it with the required documentation attached.
Reasons for Returning to Preparer
The most common reasons why a Payment Voucher in the Integrated System is returned to the preparer are:
- Over 30 days old
- Needs itemized original receipts
- Needs original signatures
- Needs Dean/VP or Supervisor's Supervisor approval
- Exceeds allowed guidelines on lodging or meals and incidental expenses (M&IE)
- Extra insurance on rental cars
- Refueling charges on rental cars
- Day trip meals not allowed on ANY funds
- Needs Current Travel Workbook
- Needs Continuation Sheet
- Names of the traveler and the supervisor must be printed next to the signature
- Cannot accept fax copies