Report Animal Cruelty
Animals can't speak for themselves. They rely on humans like you who care about their well-being. If you know an animal that has been abandoned, neglected or mistreated, please let us know so we can investigate or direct you to the proper resource. Don't wait. a day can be an eternity for an animal in distress.
We take all reports of animal cruelty very seriously here. Please call us at (614) 777-7387 ext. 250 to reach confidential voice-mail. We need the street address and zip code where the animal is located. Leaving a return phone number allows our Cruelty Dispatcher to contact you for further information.
All calls are completely confidential.
How to report:
- An online form here
- Leave a voicemail, 24 hours a day: (614)777-7387, ext 250
- For stray dogs, or dogs running loose, contact Franklin County Animal Care & Control
at (614) 525-3400.
Please note: we do not pick up stray cats or kittens. There is no agency in Central Ohio that provides this service. Our Admissions Department will accept stray cats/kittens that are candidates for adoption (not wild/feral).
How to recognize animal cruelty:
- Extremely thin, starving animals.
- Wounds on the body.
- Patches of missing hair.
- Dogs who are repeatedly left alone without food, water or shelter, often chained or locked up in a yard.
- Animals that have been abandoned by their owner.
- An owner striking, or otherwise physically abusing an animal.
- Tick or flea infestations. Flystrike -- open wounds on ears and/or nose caused by biting flies.
- Animals with an injury or illness who have not received medical care.
- Embedded collars/chains around the neck.
- Animals whose hair is severely matted.
- Intentionally fighting animals.