Written By: Adriana Anderson | Licensed since 2009 Print
An example of Medicare fraud is when a doctor or provider knowingly sends Medicare a bill for health services or supplies that were never provided.
If you have Original Medicare, you should compare your Medicare Summary Notice (MSN) with statements and receipts from your health-care providers. This is a notice of all the services and supplies that were billed to Medicare over a three-month period. If you don’t recognize a particular item or provider, you can start by contacting the doctor’s office to double check to see if a billing mistake was made.
If you think there may be a case of Medicare fraud, you can report the fraud in the following ways:
- Calling the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). Phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Contacting CMS by mail at Medicare Beneficiary Contact Center, PO Box 39, Lawrence, KS 66044.
- Calling the HHS Office of Inspector General (OIG) at 1-800-HHS-TIPS (1-800-447-8477). Phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Reporting the fraud to the HHS online at Hotline Operations .
- Contacting the HHS by mail at HHS Tips Hotline, PO Box 23489, Washington, DC 20026-3489.
When reporting Medicare fraud, it’s helpful to have the following information on hand:
- Your Medicare number
- Information about the provider
- Information about the service that was supposedly provided, such as the date of service and payment amount approved and paid by Medicare
- The reason you think fraud was committed
If reported fraud leads to recovery of Medicare funds, Medicare will provide incentive rewards when certain conditions are met.
If you’re interested in learning more about Medicare, just let me know. You can take a look at my profile below to find out more about my background. If you’d like to speak by phone or email, there are links to do that below, too. To search for plans now, use the blue Find Your Plan button on this page. Or, to get help from a licensed insurance agent more quickly, just call us.
Call Medicare.com’s licensed sales agents at 1-844-847-2659, TTY users 711; Monday through Friday, 8AM to 11PM ET, Saturday through Sunday, 8AM to 9PM ET. You may receive a messaging service on weekends and holidays from February 15 through September 30. Please leave a message and your call will be returned the next business day.
Adriana Anderson Licensed since 2009