Continue Reading Below
It takes time for swallowed poisons to be absorbed into the puppy’s system. If she swallows a foreign object like a rock, toy or holiday ornament the item won’t move from the tummy into the intestines right away. That means you can sometimes get rid of the problem by making your puppy vomit.
Some poisons cause symptoms in as little as twenty minutes after swallowing. Puppies may show distress immediately or it could take a couple of hours or days for you to notice a problem.
When NOT To Induce Vomiting
Some swallowed objects and poisons are just as dangerous coming back up as they are going down.
Sharp objects like pins, tacks, shards of glass or plastic, screws, needles, hooks from Christmas ornaments or other pointy items can cut your pet.
Metal objects such as coins including pennies and nickels can cause zinc toxicity. Big puppies that swallow batteries can develop lead poisoning.
Don’t wait for metal or sharp items to pass through his system. The vet needs to surgically remove these kinds of objects so get the puppy to your emergency room immediately.
Other items may not cut the puppy but can cause burn damage or other problems.
Continue Reading Below
If you know your puppy has swallowed any of the following, do NOT induce vomiting. Instead call your vet immediately.
- Acids, like bleach and drain cleaners
- Alkalis, such as ammonia and laundry detergents
- Motor Oil Gas
- Paint, Paint Thinner, Paint Remover
- Lighter Fluid
- Caladium Plant
- Dieffenbachia Plant
- Philodendron Plant
- Jerusalem Cherry Plant
- Nightshade Plant
- Raw Potato (green parts and eyes)
- Mother-in-Law’s Tongue/Snake Plant
How To Induce Vomiting
It’s always best to check with the vet first to be sure it’s safe to induce vomiting. Here’s how to make your puppy throw up toxic substances. As long as he stays alert you can make a puppy vomit up to an hour after ingestion. Sooner is best.
Even if you don’t see the dirty deed but find
suspicious evidence like a gnawed plant, chocolate candy wrappers. spilled antifreeze or open bottle of pills, it’s a good idea to get him to purge. It can be dangerous to induce vomiting if the pup acts dizzy, is depressed or falls unconscious. They can inhale the material on its way up and suffocate.
- First, serve the poisoned pup some food, just a small amount will do. No, you’re not rewarding him for eating the cat’s mouse toy. Diluting the poison with food helps delay its absorption, and for solid objects, may also pad any rough edges. It can be tough to get puppies to upchuck if the tummy is too empty.
- Give 3% hydrogen peroxide with an eyedropper, syringe without a needle or even a squirt gun or turkey baster. It tastes nasty and foams, and that combination usually prompts vomiting in about five minutes. You can repeat this dose two or three times, with five minutes between doses.
- Syrup of Ipecac is effective for dogs. Ipecac takes longer to work than hydrogen peroxide, though, and the dose should only be given once. Give one teaspoon for dogs less than 35 pounds, and up to a tablespoon for larger dogs.
- When nothing else is handy, you can try giving table salt prompts dry, onto the back of the puppy’s tongue. Only give one teaspoonful at a time for little pups or a tablespoonful for adult-size pups. Repeat in three minutes if the first dose doesn’t work.
- Call the veterinarian for further instructions after the pet has emptied his stomach. If you can’t induce vomiting after a couple of tries, prompt veterinary care is even more important.
- Take a sample of the vomit with you to the veterinarian. That way the vet can analyze the poison and offer an antidote or other follow-up measures to be sure your puppy survives.
The best way to deal with problem poisons or dangerous items is to prevent the problem from ever happening. Child proof locks on cupboards, keeping sweet candy and people pills out of reach, and puppy proofing holiday decorations helps keep your baby dog safe.