The Business License Application is a simplified form used to apply for many state licenses, registrations, and permits. It’s also used to apply for some city licenses.
Who should file, and when?
You must file a Business License Application when you first start your business, or when you change or update your business. You’ll need to file (or re-file) if you want to:
- Get a state business license or Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number.
- Get a new city license or specialty license (such as a liquor license).
- Change ownership of a business.
- Change business locations or add a new location to your existing business.
- Register or change a trade name .
- Hire employees (including minors and workers
in the home).
- Change your unemployment insurance or industrial insurance coverage.
How to file
Online - The fastest way to file!
Online applications are typically processed within ten business days. It may take up to 21 days if you file by mail.
- Complete a Business License Application online using an E-check or a MasterCard, Visa, Discover or American Express credit or debit card (gift cards cannot be used). Note: The credit/debit card option is provided to you by a private, non-state vendor that will impose a 2.5% convenience fee for the service.
- Mobile devices (tablets, smart phones, etc.) are not recommended.
For certain activities. you should file a paper application.