How to Apply for Federal Direct Stafford Loans
Federal Direct Stafford Loan (Student Borrowers)
First time Federal Direct Stafford Loan borrowers must complete the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Request Form. on-line Entrance Counseling, and electronically sign a Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). You will need a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID to complete this process. If you do not have an FSA ID, go to https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/fsaid#pin-replacement and click on "create an FSA ID now " at the top of the page. If you already have a federal PIN (number), the FSA ID replaces it but you can link your PIN to the FSA ID.
- To begin your loan process, Click the
- Click on Sign In (use your FAFSA PIN)
- Click on Complete Master Promissory Note
- Click on loan type Subsidized/Unsubsidized and provide all requested information.
- After you open the html file to view your completed Master Promissory Note, be sure to click CONTINUE so that your note will be recorded.
- Complete and return the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Request Form to the Financial Aid Office by fax (434-223-6075) OR email (firstname.lastname@example.org ) OR mail (Hampden-Sydney College, Box 726, Hampden-Sydney,VA 23943).
If you are a first-time borrower, Federal regulations require that loan counseling be completed before loan funds can be applied to your tuition account in the Business Office.