As part of the loan process, your borrower may be required to provide an explanation for derogatory credit such as late payments, bankruptcy, or judgments. This is a very important step and may make the difference in the loan program and interest rate that your borrower is approved for. While some borrowers are sophisticated enough to handle the task independently, others may require some help. Rather than writing an explanation yourself, give the borrower some guidance on the proper format. A good credit explanation should contain the following:
How To Build Good Credit
1. An acknowledgement of what happened. This demonstrates honesty and understanding of the necessity to repay the debt.
2. A reason why it happened. Don’t leave this to the underwriter’s assumption. Circumstances that are within the borrower’s control will be viewed differently from those that are not (i.e. loaning your bill money to a friend vs. being laid-off from a job).
3. A statement of what is different now. This part of the letter is essential. The lender needs to know what has changed in the borrower’s life that will reduce the likelihood that the proposed loan will not go into early default.
4. Finally, if supporting documentation is available, include it.
A few excuses that are NOT recommended:
· I don’t know what this is/It’s not mine. While this may be true, there should still be some comment stating when the borrower became aware of the erroneous entry and what has been done since that time to remove or correct it. The borrower should acknowledge whether or not it belongs to a relative.
· The product/service was no good so I didn’t pay for it. The borrower typically has other remedies available and should seek them out. The lender might assume that the borrower won’t like his/her mortgage payment down the road either. If the matter is being disputed, the borrower should state that as well.
· I didn’t know I had to pay the money back. Well, some things are just better left unsaid.
Make sure that your borrower’s credit explanation letter corresponds with the credit report. If there are five derogatory items, make certain that all five are addressed rather than just two or three. If a single incident caused several derogatory items, be sure that your borrower’s letter states that (i.e. job loss, divorce, etc.). Most
importantly the incident and the reason for it should make sense.
Stephanie Graham is a mortgage professional with more than two decades of experience in both retail and wholesale lending. Stephanie has excelled in a number of positions including CRA officer, corporate trainer, consultant, and as an executive of Complete Mortgage Processing. More tips and techniques for mortgage processing and origination can be found at [http://www.completemortgageprocessing.com]
More from my site
Learning how to start building or repairing credit for your business are imperative. Whether you are establishing a business or have an existing one, building a good credit rating is essential, as it helps to optimize your business operations. How To Build Good Credit In the initial stages of building business credit, more often than … Continue reading
How To Build Business Credit How To Build Good Credit Having their own business is something many millions of people dream of doing. Many do, of course, but so many others never quite get around to it. One of the factors that may discourage people from getting that business off the ground, is a lack … Continue reading
More from my site‘Live’ at BSU: Inside Credit ScoresWhat Is A Good Credit Score And How To Get There?How To Build Your Credit Score | Practical Steps To Help Build Your Credit Score EasilyHow to Build Your Credit Score After BankruptcyHow to Go From a Good Credit Score to an Excellent Credit ScoreHow to Build … Continue reading
More from my siteTips.Net| Understanding Your Credit ScoreUnderstanding your Credit Score | by Wall Street SurvivorUnderstanding what is a good credit scoreUnderstanding Your Credit ScoreSneak Preview – Credit Report Secrets 4 Part SeriesCreate a Good Credit Report 1-877-473-3055
More from my siteCredit BuildingBad Credit Loans – Funny explanation of Building CreditInformation about Credit | Building your CreditCan building up good credit offset the bad?Building up good credit NY Bank Competition NJIT TeamUnderstand How to Build Good Credit History – 8 Steps to Building Great Credit a lot more
More from my siteHow to get approved with bad credit. Auto fiancing made possible for anyone.Car Loans Ajax – for Good Credit, Bad Credit and No CreditCar Loans Nepean – for Good Credit, Bad Credit, Specialty VehiclesCar Loans Mississauga – for Good Credit, Bad Credit and No CreditHow to Change a Bad Credit Score Into … Continue reading