The AAMA offers continuing education (CE) to all medical assistants:
CMAs (AAMA) | Earn recertification points to recertify by continuing education.
View the Recertification Policies to ensure you are eligible.
Medical Assistants | Earn CEUs (continuing education units) to show employers you are staying current in the field.
AAMA Members | Enjoy discounts on AAMA CEUs that can add up to the price of membership and more. Join today !
Where to Get CEUs
AAMA CEUs | You may earn all of your CEUs from the AAMA. If you do, you will be eligible to recertify online or by phone .
Non-AAMA CEUs | You may also choose to earn at least 30 AAMA CEUs and the rest of the recertification points from other sources.
If any of your CEUs are from non-AAMA sources, you may recertify by mail-in application .
The AAMA offers many ways to earn CEUs:
- e-Learning Center | Take electronic tests based on articles you read online.
Enjoy these e-LC benefits:
- Secure online payment
- Immediate score results sent to your e-mail address
- Automatic updates (within 14 days) to your AAMA CEU Transcript
CMA Today is a benefit of AAMA membership: Join today !
Nonmembers may subscribe to CMA Today .
Self-study Courses | These publications offer topics that range from nutritional issues to collections to health care law and ethics. Each course includes a test.
Check out the registration brochure, available every year in March.
As an AAMA member, you will not be charged extra for registering your CEUs.
The AAMA will enter the number and category of AAMA CEUs into your transcript, and you will be able to access your AAMA CEU Transcripts anytime online.
Non-AAMA Recertification Points
You may earn up to 30 non-AAMA recertification points by attending programs and events that are not approved by the AAMA.
You must determine if the programs meet the standards for approvable continuing education. The AAMA provides three documents that serve as useful guidelines:
- The CMA (AAMA) Certification/Recertification Examination Content Outline is a comprehensive list of everything a CMA (AAMA) has to know for the exam, organized by topic category.
- The Occupational Analysis of the CMA (AAMA) is based on an AAMA survey of the tasks performed on a daily basis by CMAs (AAMA).
- The Advanced Practice of Medical Assisting defines advanced medical assisting skills and areas of knowledge.
The AAMA will not update your transcript when you attend non-AAMA approved programs and events. Save any related documentation, such as a syllabus, to include when you submit the Recertification by Continuing Education Application .
Required Recertification Points