Things to Know Before You Start Looking For Commercial Space for Your Business
Continue Reading Below
- Commercial Industrial Spaces - Things to Consider When Leasing. Commercial industrial space can also be used in place of traditional commercial office space, usually at substantially cheaper prices. There are pros and cons, advantages and disadvantages to leasing commercial industrial space.
- Pros and Cons of Subleasing Commercial Spaces. Commercial subleases offer pros and cons to business owners. Before you sign a sublease, be sure to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of subleasing commercial space.
Do Some Homework Before You Look at Space
Before looking at business space make a checklist that details and ranks your needs and priorities before you see any space. It is easy to get excited about how a space looks and overlook drawbacks. An experienced landlord or realtor will pick up on your enthusiasm for a particular space and may hard-sell you to make a quick decision, or be less flexible in negotiating lease terms.
Having a checklist of questions to ask about the lease is also important because commercial leases can be very complicated.
Continue Reading Below
A checklist of leasing questions will help you remember what to ask so that you will have enough information about the terms to research more about the type of lease being offered to you.
- Checklist for Leasing Commercial Office, Retail, and Industrial Properties: When it comes to selecting a location for your business you need to think things through. Make a checklist before looking at commercial spaces of all the things that your business needs to succeed and take it with you.
If you have not already written a technical feasibility study, consider
doing so. A technical feasibility study can help you think about, plan, and address all the needs of your business that need to be considered when leasing commercial business space.
Types of Commercial Leases and Common Leasing Terms
- Types of Commercial Leases. Compare the types of commercial leases commonly used in commercial real estate in an easy-to-read chart.
- The two most common ways to lease office and other commercial spaces include:
- Lease: In a standard tenant-landlord lease you are the main business (or individual) named on a lease with the landlord.
- Sublease: A sublease is when an individual or other business already has a lease with a landlord, but subleases (rents out) a portion of the space their space to you.
Sublessors cannot transfer rights to sublessees that are not in the original lease or if the original lease prohibits subleases.
Pros and Cons of Subleasing: Commercial subleases offer pros and cons to business owners. Before you sign a sublease, be sure to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of subleasing commercial space.
how to lease a retail space