A good performance management system works towards the improvement of the overall organizational performance by managing the performances of teams and individuals for ensuring the achievement of the overall organizational ambitions and goals. An effective performance management system can play a very crucial role in managing the performance in an organization by:
- Ensuring that the employees understand the importance of their contributions to the organizational goals and objectives.
- Ensuring each employee understands what is expected from them and equally ascertaining whether the employees possess the required skills and support for fulfilling such expectations.
- Ensuring proper aligning or linking of objectives and facilitating effective communication throughout the organization.
- Facilitating a cordial and a harmonious relationship between an individual employee and the line manager based on trust and empowerment.
Performance management practices can have a
positive influence on the job satisfaction and employee loyalty by:
- Regularly providing open and transparent job feedbacks to the employees.
- Establishing a clear linkage between performance and compensation
- Providing ample learning and development opportunities by representing the employees in leadership development programmes, etc.
- Evaluating performance and distributing incentives and rewards on a fair and equated basis.
- Establishing clear performance objectives by facilitating an open communication and a joint dialogue.
- Recognizing and rewarding good performance in an organization.
- Providing maximum opportunities for career growth.
An effectively implemented performance management system can benefit the organization, managers and employees in several ways as depicted in the table given below:
Improved organizational performance, employee retention and loyalty, improved productivity, overcoming the barriers to communication, clear accountabilities, and cost advantages.