The college degrees people earn - and the credit they receive toward those degrees - matter. Not only can they mean the difference between landing jobs or not, but they also can mean the difference between success or stagnation for our nation and its economy.
We must face some hard facts about college education in our country:
- By 2018, 65% of jobs in the U.S. will require at least some college. 1
- Less than half of American adults aged 25-34 - approximately 40% - have attained a postsecondary degree. 2
- In a survey of leading nations by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, the Unites States ranks 12th in degree attainment among adults aged 25-34. 3
- The U.S. will need to increase the rate of degree production by 50.8% to catch up to the rates of leading nations. 4
Helping Adults Earn College Credit for What They Already Know
When people receive college credit for what they have learned from life and work experiences, they earn their degrees and credentials faster, saving money on tuition. They also learn the value of their experience, which gives them confidence to complete their degrees.
To help adult students receive the college credit they deserve, and to help colleges and universities award credit for prior learning, CAEL offers these services:
LearningCounts.org is an
easy-to-use online portfolio assessment service that helps your students earn college credit for what they already know. It guides students through the process of identifying, documenting and verifying their prior learning achieved through professional training, military service and self-initiated experiences (such as volunteer work and MOOCs). Join the Featured Network today to offer LearningCounts services to your students. We offer the following services through LearningCounts:
• Online instruction in PLA portfolio development (instructor-led or self-led)
• Online portfolio development tool available to your students
• Portfolio evaluation by CAEL-trained faculty experts
• Prior Learning Credit Predictor to help students identify PLA options that are best for them
Click here for more information.
To understand how to evaluate and award credit for the prior learning of your students, start by joining a CAEL webinar, attending a 1 ½ day workshop, or becoming certified online in PLA.
If you want to assess learning on your campus, CAEL’s on-site workshops and consulting services help you understand how offering credit for what students learned from work and life experiences can meet your retention and graduation goals.
Assisting Adult Students to Stay in School and Graduate
More and more adults are returning to school to retain their current jobs, find employment, compete for higher-paying positions, and complete a degree that they started years ago. But the traditional structure and organization of higher education often make it difficult for them to stay in school and graduate.