Note: If you are overdose on ibuprofen or any other medicine/drug call the emergency now!
Ibuprofen takes away any pain, cramps etc and makes you sleep better. It is a great pain relief, for all different kinds of pains, specially headache and migrane. Therefore it’ can be used in many cases. And since it’s become available over-the-counter, Ibuprofen Overdose has become a common phenomenon. If you are overdose on Ibuprofen and still everything looks okay, you still need to go and see a doctor immediately. The symptoms may not show right now but the overdose may show signs in the long run.
Consequences of Ibuprofen overdose: According to research institutes, Ibuprofen overdose damages your internal organs like liver. While in some cases it has been reported that it has resulted in a permanent liver damage, in other cases where the victim has been taking the dose for a long and continued period it has resulted in organs failure one by one.
Some of the side effects are unsteadiness, blurred vision, ringing in the ears, gastrointestinal, nausea plus vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, probable loss of blood in intestinal areas or stomach or both, headache, agitation, drowsiness, incoherence and confusion etc. Sometimes more serious symptoms are
also noticed in some victims though very rare such as seizure, gastrointestinal bleeding, metabolic acidosis, respiratory depression, hyperkalaemia, tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, coma, hepatic dysfunction, renal failure, cyanosis, and cardiac arrest etc. Until and unless the victim is allergic to ibuprofen, there is a slim chance that the victim would die from Ibuprofen Overdose.
Ibuprofen Overdose can cause stinking vomiting, profuse sweating, severe abdominal pain, and can land you straight in the mental hospital for attempted suicide, where you may be medicated with things like liquid carbon or charcoal. Charcoal has the ability to absorb the drug before it can enter the systemic circulation. Another form of treatment to fight Ibuprofen overdose is gastric lavage which is not very popular, but it is considered if the intake is potentially life threatening. This treatment can be performed within 60 minutes of ingestion of Ibuprofen.
Below 100 mg/kg, the toxic effects of Ibuprofen are less likely. But doses above 400 mg/kg are considered as overdose and can result into any of the above consequences. It is not possible to determine a precise dose that crosses the danger line as it varies from person to person depending upon his/her weight, age and medical record of the individual patient.