SDHC Commentary on Voice of San Diego's Hotel Churchill Article
On July 17, 2015, SDHC Chairman of the Board Gary Gramling submitted a commentary to the Voice of San Diego (Voice) in response to their July 15 article about the Hotel Churchill.
The San Diego Housing Commission is very proud of the rehabilitation of the Hotel Churchill in Downtown San Diego –72 apartments for homeless San Diegans, mainly Veterans.
This project is part of HOUSING FIRST – SAN DIEGO, SDHC's three-year Homelessness Action Plan.
The Hotel Churchill renovation has brought together partners who were looking for opportunities to provide affordable housing with supportive services for homeless San Diegans: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development; U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs; County of San Diego Mental Health Department; City of San Diego; Civic San Diego; and SDHC’s nonprofit affiliate, Housing Development Partners.
The Hotel Churchill renovation is expected to be completed in 2016.
HOUSING FIRST – SAN DIEGO Announced
HOUSING FIRST – SAN DIEGO. the San Diego Housing Commission’s
(SDHC) three-year Homelessness
Action Plan to create additional affordable housing with supportive services, will impact the lives of as many as 1,500 homeless San Diegans.
Developed by SDHC and in collaboration with partners, HOUSING FIRST – SAN DIEGO :
- Renovates the historical Hotel Churchill to create 72 affordable studios for homeless veterans and former foster youth;
- Awards up to $30 million over the next three years to create Permanent Supportive Housing that will remain affordable for 55 years;
- Commits up to 1,500 federal rental assistance vouchers to provide housing to homeless individuals and families;
- Invests up to $15 million from the federal “Moving to Work” rental assistance program to acquire a property that will set aside 20 percent of its units for permanent supportive housing for homeless San Diegans; and
- Dedicates 25 of SDHC’s own affordable units to temporarily provide homes for homeless individuals and families. SDHC is one of the first public housing agencies in the nation to commit affordable rental housing that it owns for this purpose.
Visit SDHC's YouTube Video Gallery