What is an ESN, IMEI, SIM, MSN (SN) and PIN?
The following descriptions explain acronyms that are associated with unique identifiers for equipment or devices. These are used for various functions such as to swap your current device to another device or switching service with another active device.
ESN: Equipment Serial Number; uniquely identifies equipment and is embedded electronically by the manufacturer.
MEID: Mobile Equipment Identifier; similar to an ESN; it is a globally unique number for a piece of mobile equipment.
You can locate the ESN / MEID number in the following two places.
- Turn off the phone and remove the battery. The number is underneath the battery in the phone on the right side of the barcode sticker. Then put the battery back on. The barcode sticker on the end of the original phone box (labeled MEID-DEC).
IMEI: International Mobile Equipment Identity; a factory-installed unique serial number that identifies each unit or line of service under GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) specifications. It is a 15 digit number and is used on non-SIM card capable devices. Motorola phones only have 14 digits so add the number 0 at the end.
SIM: Subscriber Identity Module; a ''smart'' card installed or inserted
into a mobile device containing all subscriber-related data. This facilitates a phone call from any valid mobile device since the subscriber data is used to complete the call rather than the telephone internal serial number. The SIM number is 15 digits. Motorola phones only have 14 digits so add the number 0 at the end.
MSN: Mobile Serial Number, also referred to as serial number (SN); is a 10-digit number. It is required for each SIM card capable device.
PIN: Personal Identification Number; identifies the equipment model and is required when swapping or switching to a Blackberry device.
You can locate the SIM / IMEI by using the following steps:
1. Remove battery cover door and remove battery.
2. If SIM card phone, remove SIM card and read the number from white side of card.
3. MSN, if applicable is the 10-digit number on the white label. (3 numbers followed by 3 letters followed by 4 numbers).
4. IMEI is located on the white sticker on the back of the phone; often begins with 31601 or 00.
Proprietary and confidential. ©2015 Sprint. All rights reserved. Sprint, the logo, & other trademarks are the trademarks of Sprint.