A: CHDK enhances the capabilities of your camera in a non-destructive, non-permanent way. After loading of CHDK program you will get the following functionality:
- Shooting in RAW, with RAW Average, RAW Sum, and RAW Develop features
- Shutter-priority (Tv) exposure - via shutter value override feature
- Aperture-priority (Av) exposure - via aperture value override feature
- Shutter, Aperture, and ISO Overrides
- Ultra-long shutter speeds - up to 64 seconds, and much longer on some cameras
- Ultra-fast shutter speeds - up to 1/10,000" and higher
- Customizable high-speed continuous (burst) Shutter-based (Tv), aperture-based (Av) and ISO-based exposure bracketing (unlimited shots)
- Focus bracketing (unlimited shots)
- High-speed Flash Sync at all speeds up to 1/64,000 second (even faster in some cameras )
- Script execution - including exposure bracketing, focus bracketing, intervalometer and more )
- Motion-detection trigger - automatically fires camera on motion detection. (Fast enough to capture lightning strikes.)
- USB cable remote shutter release
- Custom user-editable visible Grids for framing, cropping, and alignment
- Fully customizable CHDK display, info placement, user-colors, fonts in menus, etc.
- Zebra mode (a live view of over and under-exposed areas of your picture)
- Battery indicator
- Live histogram (RGB, blended, luminance and for each RGB channel)
- RAW and Video space-remaining gauges with custom
- Custom CHDK user menu (for instant recall of up to 10 favorite functions)
Extra Video Features
- 10 constant bit-rate and 99 constant-quality video compression levels
- Elimination of 1 GB video size-limit
- Zoom during video function (for cameras without this feature)
Apps and extras
- Depth-of-field (DOF) calculator, hyperfocal calculator with instant hyperfocal and infinity focus set, and more
- File browser
- Text reader
- Some fun tools and games ;-)
And other features too numerous to mention here. See the CHDK Firmware and Allbest Firmware usage pages for a more complete overview.
These features work on all camera models supported by CHDK. The camera does not need to have "related" or "inherent" features already presentCHDK will add the required functionality. New features are accessed through CHDK-specific menus, rather than the default camera menus.
As CHDK is continually evolving, new features are often added. Thus, some of the listed features depend on you using a version of CHDK that has those features. Check out the Downloads page for information on finding the right build for your needs.
Please note that every camera model, and almost every firmware revision requires its own unique port. There is zero chance a port for one model will work on another.
For camera models currently in development see For Developers