You may apply for the broker examination by following the instructions below:
- Be sure to read all instructions and information before completing the application.
- NOTE. You may not apply to take the examination if you have a broker license that can still be renewed (see License Renewal ).
- Checks or money orders should be made payable to the Bureau of Real Estate. Do not send cash.
- The CalBRE accepts credit card payment for examination scheduling if the application is submitted by mail or fax. (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, debit cards bearing the VISA or MasterCard logo)
- Obtaining a transcript to verify a degree earned from an accredited four year college or university which included a major or minor in real estate; or
- Completing Employment Verification (RE 226) forms to verify licensed salesperson experience; or
- Completing Equivalent Experience Verification (RE 227)
forms to verify non-licensed real estate-related experience.
- For more information, see Experience Requirements for the Broker Examination .
form to the examination application.
If your disability is observable, and your request does not involve modifying examination procedures, but is limited to wheelchair space, special seating or equipment needs, it is not necessary to obtain professional verification.
If your disability is clearly not observable, you are required to submit documentation from the medical authority or learning institution that rendered a diagnosis. Verification must be submitted to the CalBRE on the letterhead stationery of the medical authority or specialist that includes the following:
- Description of the disability and testing needs
- Recommended accommodation/modification
- Name, title and telephone number of the medical authority or specialist
- Original signature of the medical authority or specialist
- Professional license or certification number of the medical authority or specialist
Note: CalBRE normally conducts examinations in public buildings that are wheelchair accessible. If you have any questions or need assistance determining whether you may require special accommodations in accordance with the American Disability Act (ADA), you may contact the CalBRE ADA line at (916) 263-8782.
Bureau of Real Estate
P.O. Box 137001
Sacramento, CA 95813-7001
- Once qualified, an Examination Schedule Notice (RE 401B) or an authorization to self schedule will be sent to you.
- Use the eLicensing online system to check your exam date or to self schedule.
- If you have been scheduled and have lost or misplaced your Examination Schedule Notice (RE 401B), you can request a duplicate using the eLicensing online system .
- If you haven't been scheduled, and the processing timeframe has elapsed, contact the CalBRE Examination Section .