Specialized Trails and Lessons
- Custom Networking — An introduction to the Java platform's powerful networking features.
- The Extension Mechanism — How to make custom APIs available to all applications running on the Java platform.
- Full-Screen Exclusive Mode API — How to write applications that more fully utilize the user's graphics hardware.
- Generics — An enhancement to the type system that supports operations on objects of various types while providing compile-time type safety. Note that this lesson is for advanced users. The Java Language trail contains a Generics lesson that is suitable for beginners.
- Internationalization — An introduction to designing software so that it can be easily adapted (localized) to various languages and regions.
- JavaBeans — The Java platform's component technology.
- JDBC Database Access — Introduces an API for connectivity between the Java applications and a wide range of databases and data sources.
- JMX — Java Management
Extensions provides a standard way of managing resources such as applications, devices, and services.
- JNDI — Java Naming and Directory Interface enables accessing the Naming and Directory Service such as DNS and LDAP.
- JAXP — Introduces the Java API for XML Processing (JAXP) technology.
- JAXB — Introduces the Java architecture for XML Binding (JAXB) technology.
- RMI — The Remote Method Invocation API allows an object to invoke methods of an object running on another Java Virtual Machine.
- Reflection — An API that represents ("reflects") the classes, interfaces, and objects in the current Java Virtual Machine.
- Security — Java platform features that help protect applications from malicious software.
- Sound — An API for playing sound data from applications.
- 2D Graphics — How to display and print 2D graphics in applications.
- Sockets Direct Protocol — How to enable the Sockets Direct Protocol to take advantage of InfiniBand.