Vital Statistics has birth, marriage and death records from 1892 to the present. Please contact our office at (709) 729-3308. For records prior to 1892, please contact the provincial archives (the Rooms) at (709) 757-8088.
How to Order a Death Certificate Online
You may use this service to complete a death certificate order online for events that have been registered in Newfoundland and Labrador. To use this service please visit the Vital Statistics Division - Online Services.
How to Order a Death Certificate by Mail
You may apply for a death certificate by sending a completed application (165 KB) form to Vital Statistics Division.
Be sure to include the following information:
- The deceased full name and sex
- Date of death
- Place of death
- Age at time of death
- Last address of deceased
Death Certificates are available in only long form, framing size. There is no fee for a death certificate issued within the first year of death. There is a $20.00 fee for any death certificate issued after one year from the date of death. Cheques or money orders may be made payable to the Newfoundland Exchequer Account. If you are paying by credit card, we accept only Visa and MasterCard.
We require the card number, expiry date and signature of the card holder.
How to Order a Death Certificate In Person
You may apply in person at any of the following Government Service Centres or departmental offices:
- 149 Smallwood Drive, Mount Pearl, NL
- 7-9 Roddick Crescent, Harbour Grace, NL.
- 8A Myers Avenue, Clarenville, NL.
- 1 Harris Drive, Marystown, NL.
- Fraser Mall, 230 Airport Blvd. Gander, NL.
- 3 Cromer Avenue, Grand Falls-Windsor, NL.
- Mount Bernard Avenue, Sir Richard Squires Building, Corner Brook, NL.
- 35 Alabama Drive, Stephenville, NL.
- Viking Mall, St. Anthony, NL.
- 2 Tenth Street, Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL.
- 118 Humphrey Road, Bruno Plaza, Labrador City, NL.
If you apply for the death certificate in Mount Pearl, there is approximately a 20 minute waiting period. If you apply in Gander, Corner Brook, Clarenville or Grand Falls, you are still able to get it in the same day. If you apply at any of the remaining offices, there is approximately a three day waiting period. Note: Processing times are approximate and will change depending on the volume of applications received.
AdobeВ® AcrobatВ® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download AcrobatВ® Reader for free.