If you wish to obtain a copy of a certificate for a birth, marriage or death that was registered in Tower Hamlets, you may apply by telephone, in person or download one of the online forms below and post it to our office.
To get a copy of a certificate for a birth, marriage or death, you will need to provide the following information:
- which certificate you require – that is, for a birth, marriage or death the name or names the certificate applies to the date of the event - if this is not possible then at least the year and the monthly quarter
- the district in which the event took place if applying for a birth certificate, include the parents details including the mother’s maiden name any other relevant information that may help locate the certificate
A short birth certificate shows the person’s name, sex, date of birth and registration district of birth. The standard or full birth certificate – which is needed when applying for a passport and/or other forms of ID also shows place of birth, parents names and occupations.
A list of all our fees can be found on the Register Office fees page.
Applying in person
Cheques are acceptable over the counter on production of a cheque guarantee card.
Applying by telephone
To apply by telephone please have your debit/credit card details ready. We accept all major credit/debit cards with the exception of American Express and Diners.
Special Next Day delivery
If you require a certificate urgently we can send it to you
via Royal Mail Special Next Day delivery - this will cost an additional £8. Please ask for further information.
Applying by post
You may make a postal application enclosing either a covering note or a downloadable application form giving the details of the certificate.
All postal applications should be sent to the address below.
Overseas applicants need to send their payment by cash in UK pounds sterling by registered post if possible, or send a cheque drawn up in pounds sterling.
International applicants will be required to pay £10 in addition to the cost of the certificate and service requested to cover postage by International Tracked and Signed For service provided by Royal Mail.
Royal Mail International Track and Signed For service includes:
- Full end to end tracking, signature taken on delivery and online delivery confirmation
- Priority handling in the UK and overseas
- Ideal for sending important letters or documents
Please apply by post and include a stamped addressed envelope, if you do not wish to pay an additional £10 for the International Tracked and Signed for service.
Please note: for applications made on Friday, the certificate will not be posted until the following Monday.
A certificate cannot be issued until payment has been received. Cheques or postal orders should be made payable to London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
Family Tree Scrolls are also available
Download a form
To apply for a copy of a certificate for a birth, marriage or death, please download one of the following forms