ITIL Certification - Qualifying in ITIL
ITIL qualifications are available at four levels with each certificate carrying a number of credits towards the advanced level qualifications.
A minimum of twenty-two credits are required to achieve the ITIL Expert level qualification and credits are also awarded for qualifications held from previous versions of ITIL. The Four levels of qualification are as follows:
The target audience for the ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management is drawn from:
- Individuals who require a basic understanding of the ITIL framework and how it may be used to enhance the quality of IT service management within an organization.
- IT professionals who are working within an organization that has adopted and adapted ITIL who need to be informed about and thereafter contribute to an ongoing service improvement programme.
The target audience for the ITIL Intermediate Certificate in IT Service Management is drawn from:
- Individuals who require a deeper understanding of the ITIL Service Management Practice elements of the ITIL Service Lifecycle and how they may be implemented to enhance the quality of IT service management within an organization.
- IT professionals working in roles associated with strategic planning, execution and control within a service-based business model, seeking a deeper understanding of the functions and processes of the ITIL Service Lifecycle.
- Individuals seeking the ITIL Expert level certification in ITIL Service Management for which these are prerequisite modules.
- Individuals seeking progress towards the ITIL Advanced Service Management Professional standing in IT Service Management for which the ITIL Expert certification is a prerequisite.
- Individuals who wish to specialize in any of the Service Lifecycle and Capability Areas.
Two ITIL Intermediate tracks are available:
- Firstly the ITIL Intermediate Lifecycle track which comprises a 3 day module and Certificate for each of the five core books. This route broadly matches the Version 2 Managers Training. Includes 5 individual certificates built around the five core AXELOS Limited titles, as follows:
- Service Strategy
- Service Design
- Service Transition
- Service Operation
- Continual Service Improvement
- Secondly, the ITIL Intermediate Capability track which comprises of four role specific 4 day modules and certificates as follows. This route broadly reflects the Version 2
- Operational Support and Analysis (OS&A). Subjects covered inc. Event, Incident, Request, Problem, Access, Service Desk, Technical, IT Ops and Application Management
- Service Offerings and Agreements (SO&A). Subjects covered inc. Portfolio, Service Level, Service Catalogue, Demand, Supplier and Financial Management
- Release, Control and Validation (RC&V). Subjects covered inc. Change, Release & Deployment, Validation & Testing, Service Asset & Configuration, Knowledge, Request Management and Service Evaluation
- Planning, Protection and Optimization (PP&O). Subjects covered inc. Capacity, Availability, Continuity, Security, Demand and Risk Management.
This certification is achieved by accumulating credits through the first two levels of the Scheme.
There is no examination required for this level; however individuals must achieve credits through a selection of balanced subject areas which represent and are examined across the full spectrum of the ITIL Service Management Practice areas.
To achieve the certification, individuals must obtain a minimum of twenty two (22) credits, two of which must be from the Foundation module which is a mandatory first step, and five of which must be from the 'Managing Across the Lifecycle ' module which is a mandatory final step.
Individuals can choose modules from the Capability (4 credits per module) or Lifecycle (3 credits per module) Streams to gain the other 15 credits, but are expected to choose a balanced programme overall.
View ILX Group's Expert Platinum training programme that has been put together specifically for those in need of a direct route to the ITIL Expert qualification.
The Advanced Level of study leads to an ITSM professional Certification.
Individuals for the Advanced Level are required to have achieved the ITIL Service Management Expert certification and be able to demonstrate practical application experience through a peer evaluation scheme.
Individuals will be assessed on the broader issues of ITSM Implementations, including, but not limited to:
- Managing cultural and organizational change
Individuals wishing to achieve Advanced Level standing are required to have a minimum of eight years of ITSM experience and to have achieved the ITIL Expert certification.