PMP Certification: How to get PMP in 6 Steps
Step-by-step Guide for PMP: The objective of this page is to help jump-start your journey toward PMP certification.
There's a plethora of information available about the PMP exam on the internet. However, the challenge that faces most PMP aspirants is to figure out where to start. Sometimes, it may take upto 6 - 12 months for an individual to just figure out all the requisite information. This page will help you focus on the essentials by providing you with filtered content.
This page explains my proprietary (*winks*) 6-Step approach on How to become a PMP in a reasonable amount of time, with reasonable effort, and using the most economical means available.
Do you meet the PMP eligibility criteria?
PMP Certification Eligibility Criteria
It's all right to have the motivation to become a PMP, but it is also important to check whether you meet the rigorous eligibility criteria set by PMI, before you invest time in exam preparation.
To be eligible for the PMP credential, you must meet certain educational and professional experience requirements. All project management experience must have been accrued within the last eight consecutive years prior to your application submission.The eligibility requirements depend upon your Education Background.
- If you hold a High school diploma, associate's degree or global equivalent. then you need:
- Project Management Experience: Minimum five years/60 months unique nonoverlapping professional project management experience during which at least 7,500 hours were spent leading and directing project tasks.
- Project Management Education: 35 contact hours of formal education (or PDUs)
- If you hold a Bachelor's degree or global equivalent. then you need:
- Project Management Experience: Minimum three years/36 months unique non-overlapping professional project management experience during which at least 4,500 hours were spent leading and directing project tasks.
- Project Management Education: 35 contact hours of formal education (or PDUs)
Value of PMP Certification
Resources you'll need
So much material is available online for the PMP Exam that finding the "best" material can be a daunting task. A simple search on Google for "PMP Certification" results in more than half a million results. It is a challenge that most PMP aspirants face when they begin their journey. They just do not know where to start from and what is "right" for them.
To address this challenge, I have compiled a list of the very "best" material, which can help jump-start your PMP Exam preparation and save you considerable amount of precious time in siphoning through huge volume of information. If you get this resource, you are well and truly on your path towards achieving the PMP credentials.
But before I unveil the hidden treasure of information, I want to request a favor. After you review the material, please post your comments and suggestions to help me improve the information further.
Having passed the exam, I can assure you that the material that I'm going to share with you is more than sufficient for anyone to pass the exam.
Please use this information at your own discretion. Remember, what worked for me may not work for you! Your mileage may vary.
My 6-step approach will require approximately 4 months of preparation. See the schedule in the Gantt chart above. Note that some of the steps run simultaneously. For example, you can start your preparation (Step 5) while PMI is reviewing your application (Step 3).
You need to study for 1-2 hours everyday for 4 months, and approximately 200 hrs in total. including 40 hours of PM training. See my estimated preparation time break-up in the table below. You can certainly reduce the duration (even down to 6 weeks) by devoting 4-5 hours each day.
PMP Exam Preparation Time
6 steps to achieving PMP credentials
Step 1: Sign-up for Project Management Institute (PMI) membership
Set your target certification exam date, and sign-up for Project Management Institute (PMI) membership. This should be done before you even begin your preparation. Detailed information about membership and exam is available on the PMI website . Let's assume that your preparation time is 4 months. So, working backward, you should sign up for PMI membership about 4 months prior to your target exam date. At this time, PMI membership fee is USD 139, including USD 10 application fee. PMI membership has several benefits. Some of the obvious ones are:
- Save on exam fee. Do you know that PMI Membership plus PMP certification exam fee for members is less than just PMP exam fee for non-members. Here's how:
PMI Membership = USD 139
PMP Exam Fee for members = USD 405
Total cost for Membership and Exam = USD 544 (Member cost)
PMP Exam Fee for Non-members = USD 555 (Non-member cost)
As you can see, Member cost
PMI Membership Benefits
Step 2: Earn 35 Contact Hours of Project Management Education
In Step 2, you need to get 35 Contact Hours of Project Management education, which is a pre-requisite for the PMP exam. Several classroom and online trainings are available that can help you meet this requirement. Classroom trainings can cost upto $2500. Online and self-paced courses are more economical.
I recommend using the self-paced learning option, PM Prepcast. Not only does it provide top quality Project Management training, it will also help you earn your 35 Contact Hours.
If you go with the Prepcast option, I suggest that you read the corresponding chapters from the PMBOK Guide as you go through the Prepcast lessons. The Prepcast really brings PMBOK Guide to life and makes PMBOK Guide very easy to understand. If you follow this approach, you can get your 35 Contact Hours and complete the first pass of the PMBOK Guide simultaneously within the first month itself.
Full review of PM Prepcast
Step 3: Apply for PMP Certification Exam with PMI
After you earn your 35 Contact Hours, apply for PMP certification exam with PMI. The explanation of the application process is a topic in itself and I won't delve into it too much. At a high-level:
- You can apply for PMP Certification online using PMI's Online Certification System .
application approval is valid for one-year from the date you receive the approval email.
- Examination scheduling instructions to help you schedule your examination, OR
PMI does not ask for any documentation or other evidence at the time of application. However, if your application is selected for audit, you will be asked to provide copies of your degree/diploma certificates, signatures from your manager(s)/supervisor(s) verifying your project management experience and your Contact Hours certificate(s).
Step 4: Book the Exam with Prometric Testing Center
You can book the exam after you receive the email from PMI with exam scheduling instructions. PMP exam is administered by Prometric. Book the exam with Prometric well in advance (at least 2 months in advance), as slots are always limited. Having a clear target date will also bring focus into your preparation. Note that you have exactly one year to take the exam from the date your application is approved. It is your responsibility to ensure that you book and take your exam with Prometric within that one year eligibility window.
Are you finding it difficult to get your preferred exam slot with Prometric? Here's a tip for you - Secret Key to that Elusive Date with Prometric.
Step 5: Get the right Exam Prep Material and Study
Let's take a closer look at the resources.
- Books. PMBOK + Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam Prep + the free online books available on Books24x7 (for PMI members) should be sufficient to pass the exam.
If you were to attempt even half of the practice exams mentioned above, you would be staring at a mountain of 3000+ questions. With this amount of practice, your chances of success would be very high.Few additional tips:
- Review the extra topics mentioned in my PMP Exam Lessons Learned post.
"Best" PMP Exam Resources
Step 6: Take the Exam and Pass!
Last, but the not the least, take the exam. If you follow the schedule from step 1-5, you should sail through smoothly. You can take the exam even earlier if you feel prepared, and you manage to find an exam slot with Prometric.
PMP exam is four hours long, which is a lot longer than usual 2-3 hr exams that most people are used to. You need to condition your mind and body to build your stamina, as this doesn't come naturally to many people. Therefore, it is very important that you attempt a few (at least 2-3) full-length mock exams.
The exam consists of 200 multiple choice questions. Out of 200, only 175 questions are actually scored. Remaining 25 are 'trial' questions and are not scored. But, you would not know which questions are scored and which are not. My best guess is that any questions that refer to terms which are not referenced in the PMBOK are probably not scored. But again, that's an unproven theory.
The distribution of exam questions across different project management process groups is:
Refer to the PMP Handbook for complete details on the exam information and blueprint.
Do you want to know the best way to earn 35 Contact Hours for PMP? Read the next section to find out.
Project Management Prepcast
Based on PMBOK Guide Fifth EditionThis is the new video version of the extremely popular PM Prepcast and is based on PMBOK Fifth Edition (latest). A few words on the Prepcast for those who are not familiar with it:
- It is a video Podcast compared to the previous audio-only version.
- It has 111 lessons and total duration is over 47 hours - 38 hours video and 9.5 hours of audio.
- You can use it on your computer, iPod, iPhone or any modern smartphone, tablet or multimedia player.
- Using this workshop, you can earn the 35 Contact Hours, which are a pre-requisite for the PMP Exam, at your own pace and anywhere.
- You need to pass a 25 question online test to receive your 35 Contact Hours Certificate. You need to answer 17 out of 25 questions correctly in order to pass the exam. You can take the test 2 weeks after purchasing the Prepcast. The good part is that you can take it anytime and as many times as you want.
- It comes with lot of bonus material, the most useful of which is a sample exam with 60 tough questions.
- It comes with an unconditional money-back guarantee.
- Price: $179.99
BrainBOK is by far the best tool to master ITTOs for the PMP exam. Apart from the ITTO explorer, it has 2000 flashcards, free and paid practice exams, a challenging formula-based questions exam, quizzes and a lot more. By spending about $50, you can easily save 2-4 weeks of preparation time, and make your preparation more efficient, effective and enjoyable.