How to Obtain a Marriage License
To obtain a marriage license, both the bride and groom must do the following:
2. Be present in the Johnston County Register of Deeds office when applying.
3. Present one form of acceptable identification. This includes: driver's license, state-issued ID card,
passport, military ID, certified copy of birth certificate.
4. Provide social security documentation, preferably your social security card.
5. Pay marriage license fee of $61.00 (cash or credit/debit card).
In addition, applicants younger than 18 years of age must:
1. Present a certified copy of their birth certificate.
2. Both parents must be present and show ID.
In addition, divorced applicants must:
1. Provide the month and year of their last divorce. If the divorce was finalized within 30 days of applying for a marriage license,
the applicant must provide an original or certified copy of the divorce decree as well. There is no waiting period between the granting of the divorce and applying for another marriage license.
• Applicants should arrive in the office before 4:30 p.m. in order to allow time for processing.
• Licenses are issued between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
• Applicants will be placed under oath.
• The marriage license is valid immediately upon issuance.
• The marriage license is valid for 60 days.
• The marriage license is valid in any North Carolina County.
• Certified copies of your marriage license can be obtained for $10.00 each by request either in person or in writing to: Johnston County Register of Deeds Office, P.O. Box 118, Smithfield, NC 27577
*You can click on the form name to download the form in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) file format. PDF files require the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view. The Acrobat Reader can be downloaded for free from www.adobe.com .