Procedures for Obtaining Birth certificates if born in Durham County, please use the procedure below. If not, please use this link and contact the correct County.
Procedure For Getting A Birth Certificate :
Persons applying for certificates shall make their request via in person or by mail. If applying in person, an application for the certificate is completed. The completion of this application should include:
- Name on Birth Certificate
- Date of Birth
- Mother’s Full Maiden Name
- Relationship of applicant requesting the certificate
- Applicant’s name, address and phone number
- Applicant’s signature is required
- Applicant must present a valid State issued ID (Drivers License, State issued Identification card, Military Identification, United States Passport or Consular Identification).
- Expired Identification is not accepted .
Who Can Apply?
Anyone can apply for and receive uncertified copies of certificates.
- The cost for uncertified copies is $.25 per copy. (over the counter)
- The cost for mailing an uncertified copy is $1.00.
- The cost for certified copies is $10.00 per copy.
Immediate family (Mother, Father, Brother, Sister, Spouse, Adult Children, Grandparents - if both parents are named on the certificate, Legal Representative, Case Manager or Legal Guardian (proof required).
All adoption records are maintained by the North Carolina Vital Records Office
in Raleigh. Applicants must go to the State Vital Records Office to obtain any information and/or certificates that pertain to adoptions. No adoption records are located in the county Register of Deeds office.
Raleigh, North Carolina 27699
Physical Address: 225 N. McDowell Street
Raleigh, North Carolina 27699 (919) 733-3000
Fees for Amendments
Local County Processing.
Local Office processing fee - $10.00
Non-Expedited State Processing fee - $15.00 (check/money order) 6-8 weeks
Certified copy fee - $10.00
Expedite At Local County :
County will be notified within 15 days if changes are approved. The State Vital Records will notify the applicant by letter additional documentation if needed. Customer can obtain amended birth/death certificate from county after approval from the State Vital Records Office.
- Local Office processing fee - $10.00
- Expedited State processing fee - $30.00 (check/money order) 10-15 days
- Certified copy fee - $10.00
State processing fee - $45.00 (check/money order) - includes processing and certified copy mailed to customer within three days or a letter is sent explaining why the requested change cannot be completed.
By Appointment At The State Office
State processing fee - $45.00 check/money order) - includes processing and certified copy if correction can be made at the time of the appointment.
Birth Legitimations Fee.
Non-Expedited State Processing fee (check/money order) 6-8 weeks
Expedited State Processing fee - $30.00 (check/money order) 10-15 days - includes legitimation process and certified copy.
Local Office Processing fee - $10.00