Archived Historical Data: Not Actively Maintained.
Outlook allows you to request notification when a message you have sent is delivered to the recipient or is read by the recipient. You can set Outlook to send notification of all messages that are read or delivered, or you can request notification on individual messages.
To set Outlook to notify you when every message you send is delivered or read, follow these steps:
2. When the Options window opens, you will be in the "preferences" tab. Select E-Mail Options.
3. In the E-mail Options window, select Tracking Options.
4. In the Tracking Options window:
a. Place a check in the Read Receipt box if you would like to be notified when recipients read your messages.
b. Place a check in the Delivery Receipt box if you want to be notified when messages are delivered.
Note: If you want to be notified both when messages are delivered and when they are read, check both boxes.
To set Outlook to notify you when an individual message is delivered or read, follow these steps:
1. When composing the message, select Options from the
toolbar at the top of the page.
2. When the Message Options window opens, locate the section titled 'Voting and Tracking options.' From there:
a. Place a check in the Request a delivery receipt for this message box if you want to be notified when the message is delivered.
b. Place a check in the Request a read receipt for this message box if you want to be notified when the recipient reads the message.
Note: If you want to be notified both when the message is delivered and when it is read, check both boxes.
3. Delivery and read receipts will now be sent to your inbox. Also, in your Sent Messages folder, any messages for which you have already have receipts will feature a Tracking tab. This shows you which recipients have received and/or read your message.
Note: While you can request notification on any message, users can refuse to send a read receipt. It is also possible that the recipient's e-mail server may not support sending receipts for security reasons. It may be the case that the message has been read even if you do not receive a receipt.