Birmingham Register Office can only supply certificates for births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships that took place in Birmingham Registration district.
If you require a certificate for an event registered recently in Birmingham, please contact us for further advice as the procedure is slightly different until the register has been completely filled.
You can email us at email@example.com or telephone us on 0121 675 1000.
For certificates for Family History and Genealogy please see our Genealogy Page
For details of the areas covered by Birmingham Registration District historically, please see our web page Birmingham Registration Districts
If you need to locate another district visit the General Register Office web site
To apply for a certificate from Marston Green or Solihull, please contact Solihull Register Office. To apply for a certificate for West Bromwich, Smethwick, Oldbury or Bearwood please contact Sandwell Register Office .
Certificates from Birmingham
The standard fee for a certificate is £10.
There are three ways you can apply to us -
Please note that if the certificate fee is less than the £10 charged, a refund will be made to you.
2. Apply in person at our Birmingham Office - call in between 9.00 am and 3.00 pm Monday to Friday. You will be asked to fill in an application form with the information detailed below.
Certificates will be issued within 5 working days by post or 3 working days for collection at the
office. If you require your certificate sooner you will need to use our priority same day service.
Priority same day service for customers calling in at
Birmingham Register Office
For an additional £15 (£25 in total) your certificate will be issued on the same day you apply.
To use the Priority Service visit our Holliday Street Office between 9.00 am and 12 noon Monday to Friday.
The £15 priority fee is non refundable if we can not find the correct entry for your certificate.
3. Apply by post - you can use an application form (found at the end of this page) or include the required information in a letter. If paying by cheque or postal order please make it payable to Superintendent Registrar and include a stamped addressed envelope.
If paying by credit or debit card please include:
- The card number
- Issue and expiry dates
- Issue number if given
- Cardholders full name and address
- The last three numbers from the back of the card
- Authorisation for us to charge the card for the cost of the certificate and postage.
Please note we can not accept American Express, Diners Club or Electron cards.
If you are applying for more than one certificate you only need to fill in your card details once, authorising us to take payment for all the requested certificates and postage.
Birmingham Register Office