Although an endorsement authorizes the holder to teach in the area of their endorsement, the individual must also meet the highly qualified requirements required by the federal government. For further information on meeting the highly qualified requirements please go to http://www.nj.gov/education/educators/license/nclb/.
Requirements for certificates of eligibility (CE)
Effective October 31, 2009, eligibility for the elementary school (K-5) Certificate of Eligibility or instructional area Certificate of Eligibility requires candidates to demonstrate knowledge of basic pedagogical skills appropriate to the area of endorsement prior to the issuance of a certificate. The requirement may be met through successful completion of a minimum of 24 hours of study offered through a state-approved provider or through approved coursework at a NJ State-approved college as documented on a transcript. You will need to submit the “Certificate of Completion” once the 24 hours are completed. (Exceptions: Holders of a CEAS, provisional, or standard certificate in another instructional area are exempt from this requirement.)
Effective September 1, 2009, eligibility for the Preschool through Grade Three Certificate of Eligibility will require applicants to demonstrate knowledge of basic pedagogy skills appropriate to preschool education prior to the issuance of a certificate. The requirement may be met through successful completion of a minimum of 24 hours of study offered through a state-approved provider or through approved coursework at a NJ State-approved college as documented on a transcript. You will need to submit the “Certificate of Completion” once the 24 hours are completed. (Exceptions: Holders of a CEAS, provisional, or standard certificate in another instructional area are exempt from this requirement.)
(a) Except as indicated in N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-11, to be eligible for a CE in instructional areas, the candidate shall:
- Hold a bachelor's or an advanced degree from a regionally accredited college or university;
i. All coursework must appear on the transcript of a regionally accredited four-year college or university;
Requirements for certificates of eligibility with advanced standing (CEAS)
(b) Except as indicated in N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-11, to be eligible for a CEAS in instructional fields, the candidate shall meet the requirements in (a) above and complete one of the following programs of teacher preparation:
- A New Jersey college program, graduate or undergraduate, approved by the Department for the preparation of teachers pursuant to N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-10;
(c) The teacher preparation programs listed in (b)1 through 5
above must culminate in college supervised student teaching.
(d) A candidate who graduates on or after September 1, 2004 with a GPA that is 3.50 or higher, when a GPA of 4.00 equals an A grade, but whose score in the appropriate State test of subject matter knowledge falls below the passing score by no more than five percent will meet the requirements of (a)2 and 4 above. This alternative requirement to (a)2 and 4 above should not be construed as a waiver to N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-17.16. See Test and GPA Flexibility Rule
Requirements for the standard certificate
(a) Except as indicated in N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-11, to be eligible for the standard certificate in any instructional area, the candidate shall:
- Possess a provisional certificate pursuant to N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-8.2 ; and
(b) A candidate who holds a standard New Jersey instructional certificate shall be eligible for additional standard certificates if the candidate meets the requirements of N.J.A.C. 6A:9-8B.1(a) 1, 3 and 4. This provision does not apply to holders of the Teacher of Military Science endorsement or candidates seeking vocational education, special education, English as a second language, bilingual/bicultural education and preschool through grade three endorsements.
(c) A candidate who has completed the requirements pursuant to N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-8.1(b) and at least one year of appropriate teaching experience under a valid out-of-State license or certificate shall be eligible for a standard certificate upon completion of the test requirement. For the candidate who has completed the requirements pursuant to N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-8.1(b) but has not met the GPA requirements pursuant to N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-8.1(a)2. three years of successful teaching experience under a valid out-of-State certificate is necessary. Successful teaching experience will be demonstrated by the offer of contract renewal from the employing district; or submission of satisfactory performance evaluations; or submission of letters of experience on official school letterhead. See Guidelines for letters of employment experience .
(d) A candidate who holds National Board for Professional Teacher Standards (NBPTS) certification and the corresponding out-of-State license or out-of-State certificate shall be eligible for the standard certificate in the NBPTS certificate field without additional requirements.
(e) A candidate who presents official evidence of the following requirements shall be eligible for a standard certificate:
- Completion of requirements pursuant to N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-8.1(a) ;
- 6A:9B-11.1 Preschool through grade 3
- 6A:9B-11.2 Vocational-technical education
- 6A:9B-11.3 Special education
- 6A:9B-11.4 Bilingual/bicultural education
- 6A:9B-11.5 English as a second language (ESL)
- 6A:9B-11.6 Driver education
- 6A:9B-11.7 Military science
- 6A:9B-11.8 Health and physical education
- 6A:9B-11.9 Physical science
- 6A:9B-11.10 World languages
- 6A:9B-11.11 Elementary school with subject matter specialization (often referred to as "Middle School certification"). Applicants for this endorsement MUST hold at least a CE in Elementary K-5 to be eligible for this endorsement! In addition, candidates for the Elementary school with subject matter specialization endorsements must complete study in adolescent development in order to obtain the standard certificate. Alternate route teachers study adolescent psychology in their Alternate Route training classes and, therefore, meet this requirement.
- 6A:9B-11.12 Swimming and water safety
- 6A:9B-11.13 Technology education