What is Broadform Insurance?
Sometimes referred to as Broad Form Named Operator coverage, broad form auto insurance covers only the person who is named on the policy. This means that if you have broad form auto insurance for yourself, no one but yourself can make any insurance claims for damages following an accident. This type of coverage is best for single persons who live alone, and never lend their vehicles to anyone else.
Yes a SR22 can be added to Broad Form Insurance – this is very common practice.
Things You Need to Know
While broad form auto insurance is a great thing for many drivers, there are some things that everyone who is considering buying this type of coverage needs to know. For instance, if you have this coverage, you can never let anyone else use your vehicle. If you do, and they are involved in an accident, your insurance will not cover any damages, and that person, or yourself, will have to pay for everything. In fact, you could be sued for damages if someone is at fault in an accident while driving your vehicle. Other things you should know about broad form auto insurance include:
- The coverage is liability only . This means that there will be no coverage for any damage that is done to your vehicle in an accident.
- You are not restricted to one vehicle . As long
as you own the vehicle, or have permission to drive it, your broad form auto insurance will cover you while you are driving that vehicle. You do not have to be listed on the owner’s policy in order to have coverage.
- This coverage is secondary . This means that if you borrow a vehicle from someone else and they have insurance coverage, claims will be made on that insurance before your broad form auto insurance.
- This coverage is not for motorcycles . Your broad form auto insurance will not cover you if you are riding a motorcycle, which requires separate coverage.
- This coverage is not for company vehicles . If you are using a vehicle for business, you will need to have commercial vehicle insurance coverage.
- This coverage is less expensive than other types . This is because you do not have the frills that other insurance packages offer. You just have the liability coverage you need to have your vehicle on the roads legally.
Figure Out What You Need
One of the best ways to decide if broad form auto insurance is best for you is to sit down and take a look at what you actually need for coverage. If you do drive a motorcycle, you are going to need to have insurance coverage for that. If you use a company vehicle, you will be required to have different coverage again.