Highly Valued Certification
This provides an overview of the eligibility criteria and a process for entities seeking certification to the COPC-2000® Standard. Since this certification process will be refined periodically, companies are strongly encouraged to contact COPC prior to undertaking a certification effort.
The process defined below is the COPC recommended process for most entities, based on the experience of COPC with companies that have sought certification over the past few years. While some variations of this model may apply to your situation, this is an excellent place to start.The Typical Certification Process
- Step 1 -Define the Entity Seeking Certification. The first step towards certification is to properly define the entity. This is the segment of the company identified for implementation of the COPC-2000® Standard. Any location/service can be certified as long as it can be clearly defined. Even a service within a location can seek certification. The primary drivers of entity definition are (1) company, (2) location, and (3) services offered (i.e. these are typically defined as per Exhibit 1 of the Standard-customer contact center inbound services, technical support, outbound contact management, electronic commerce, fulfillment). Of particular note are the following:
- Call center
- Credit card processing
- E-mail processing
- New program setup
- Fax processing
- Human resources
- Mail processing
- Software, hardware, telecom
- Account management
- Executives - Typically, this is a two-hour session to introduce executives to COPC and to present data on the benefits of certification.
- Customer Contact Center and/or Fulfillment Center Managers - Typically, this is a four-hour session to introduce center managers to the specific requirements of the Standard.
- COPC Implementation Team - Typically, this is a four to eight hour session with the team responsible for driving COPC implementation.
- The First Call identifies your Key Customer-Related Processes (KCRPs).
- The Second Call identifies the metrics required for your KCRPs.
- The Third Call identifies your Key Suppliers.
COPC-2000® Application two months prior to the anticipated Step 8 certification audit. This is the same application, in terms of format, as in Step 4. In fact, most companies just update the Step 4 application. COPC will score the application and conduct a four to six hour review session with your implementation team by phone. Where non-compliance is found, COPC will work with your Coordinator on subsequent conference calls to rectify your approach. COPC has found that with this step included, there are usually no issues of approach in the Step 8 audit. Without this step, however, issues of approach often arise during the Step 8 audit, delaying certification.
- Certified-The entity is compliant on all scorable Items of the Standard.
- Conditionally Certified-The entity is compliant on at least 27 Items and has minor deficiencies in the remaining Items.
- Certification Candidate-The entity is compliant on at least 11 Items of the Standard and management formally commits to becoming fully certified within 12 months.
- No Classification-The entity complies with less than 11 Items of the Standard.
Typically, an entity spends 9 to 12 months of diligent effort to become Certified. The fastest any entity has achieved certification was three months, however, this company already had a rigorous internal quality process in place. In addition, the entity seeking certification was small, in one location, and had a limited number of key customer-related processes.
Six months after an entity first achieves certification (and thus six months prior to that entity's first re-certification audit), the entity must complete, and must evaluate, the COPC-2000® Re-Certification Application. This application is a modified version of the application completed prior to certification. It is particularly focused, however, on examining the latest performance data required in Category 4.0 of the Standard. COPC will score the application and conduct a four to six hour review session with the entity's implementation team by phone. There will be no implications if the entity has fallen out of compliance. However, the entity will be responsible for rectifying any non-compliance Items that were identified. This 6-month review should reduce the chance of compliance issues arising during the re-certification audit.
Every 12 months following Certification, the entity must be re-Certified. This will typically require two to three days by one COPC auditor for each entity. All re-certifications include KCRP audits and reviews of several additional Items of the Standard. If deficiencies are found, the entity must prepare and present a corrective action plan. If corrective action is not implemented within a reasonable time, the entity's certification is revoked.
Key People Involved
The following are involved when seeking certification within the United States:
- COPC Lead Auditor-a COPC staff professional who oversees the certification process and authorizes the final certification
- COPC Registered Coordinator(s)- A staff member(s) of the company seeking certification responsible for implementing the Standard
- CSP Senior Management-the management of the CSP approves and supports the certification initiative
The following people are involved when seeking certification outside the United States:
- COPC Headquarters-the organization that issues the certification decision
- COPC Licensee-a professional of a COPC authorized firm who oversees the certification process and submits the final application to the COPC headquarters
- COPC Registered Coordinators and CSP Senior Management-remain the same
All information contained in this document is the property of Customer Operations Performance Center Inc. (COPC) and maintains the right to modify or change the Certification Process at any time and without notice. COPC maintains the sole right to determine Certification Status of any entity.
If you need additional information, email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 91-22-460 2519.
© Copyright Smart - Tech Solutions, Mumbai