A birth extract is a certified true copy of the Birth Certificate (BC). Applications for a certified extract from the Registry of Births & Deaths may be made in person or online*.
The Registry of Births & Deaths only maintains the birth and death records which were registered in Singapore since 1872.
Please note that a child's name cannot be altered if a birth extract has been issued within a year of the child's birth.
*With effect from 18 September 2004, applications for birth extracts from law firms can only be submitted online through eXtracts Online.
Any person may apply for a certified birth extract under the Registration of Births and Deaths (RBD) Act.
For Applications Made in Person
- Applicant's Identity Card OR
- Certified copy of applicant’s official identification document (e.g. passport, driver's license, etc) if he/she is not a Singapore Identity Card holder
For Online Applications
Registry of Births & Deaths
Citizen Services Centre
3rd Storey, ICA Building
10 Kallang Road
(next to Lavender MRT station)
Monday to Friday. 8.00 a.m. to 4.30 p.m.
Saturday. 8.00 a.m. to 12.30 noon
- Proceed to obtain a Q-number and Extract application form
- Complete Extract application form and wait to be called
You will require the following information of the Birth Certificate holder to complete the form:
- Date of Birth
- Singapore Birth Certificate number OR Singapore NRIC number
If you do not furnish the Birth Certificate/NRIC number, a search fee is applicable.
- Obtain receipt for collection
after the application is processed
S$40 (incl GST) per birth extract
If the Birth Registration Number is not furnished, applicants are required to indicate the period of search with the applicable search fee:
- S$40 (incl GST) for a 1-month search period
- S$40 (incl GST) for every additional 1 month search period or part thereof
This is in addition to the extract fee that needs to be paid after the record is found.
Please note that search fees paid are not refundable.
For Online Applications
Please make payment by VISA/Mastercard Credit Card or Mastercard Debit Card
For Applications in Person
Please make payment by NETS or CashCard
1 week if search is not required.
Some cases may take a longer time and you will be contacted when the extract is ready for collection.
For a search of birth record, we will inform you of the search result once it is known.
For Local Applicants
You may choose to:
- Receive by post (ICA will not be liable for damage caused during the mailing process)
- Collect at our service counters in person or by proxy .
For Overseas Applicants
You will receive the certified Birth Extract by post.
For Applicants Collecting by Proxy
If a proxy is collecting a Birth Extract on the applicant’s behalf, the proxy has to produce:
- Letter of authorisation stating the proxy's name and identification number
- Proxy’s identification document (IC/passport)
- Official payment receipt OR the application reference number
Peak Periods to Avoid
- Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays, eve and the day after public holidays
- After 11.00 am on weekdays and Saturdays