The leadership, problem-solving skills and integrity you demonstrated while serving in the United States Armed Forces are some of the same skills needed for a successful career in the insurance industry . Many insurance executives are veterans themselves, and recognize that hiring veterans is good business.
Military skills that easily transfer to insurance careers include, but are not limited to the following:
- The ability to plan and execute tasks in high-stress, unstructured, frequently changing environments.
- Dynamic risk management skills.
- Experience securing, using and maintaining equipment worth millions of dollars.
- Proven effectiveness completing complicated tasks and solving problems.
- Communication skills effective at various levels of the organization.
- Management skills obtained from various leadership positions.
Not sure what area of insurance best suits you? Take the Insurance Career Survey to discover
career pathways that align with your interests and skills.
Military Skills Translator
We recognize how difficult it is to demonstrate to employers the value your military training can bring to the civilian workforce. To help with that process, we encourage you to visit the Ohio Means Jobs Military Skills Translator. which features a step-by-step process designed to connect the skills you have from your Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) with the career you are seeking.
Ask a Pro Program
Have questions about working in the insurance industry? Let us connect you with an insurance professional who has gone through the job search process, and succeeded in transferring their military experience into the insurance industry.
Complete the form on the Ask a Pro page to be matched with an insurance professional most qualified to answer your questions.
Take the insurance career survey