Getting a copy of your own birth certificate
If you’re applying for a job, a visa or getting your driver’s licence, you may be asked for a copy of your birth certificate. If you can’t find your birth certificate, you will need to get a copy.
If you were born in Queensland, you can get a copy of your birth certificate from the Queensland Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (the Registry). If you were not born in Queensland, you have to apply to the government in the state/territory where you were born. You can find out how by clicking the Change State button at the top of this page and choosing the state/territory where you were born.
How old do I have to be to get a copy?
You don’t have to be a certain age to apply for a copy of your certificate. But if you’re under 18, your parents can also apply for a copy of your certificate.
How do I apply?
- Give it in person at the Brisbane Registry at 110 George Street. If you do not live in Brisbane, you can apply for a birth certificate at your Queensland Magistrates Court or the Queensland Government Agent Program.
- post it along with copies of your ID documents to:
PO Box 15188
CITY EAST QLD 4002
How much does it cost?
It costs about $42 to get a copy of your standard birth certificate.
What documents do I need to show?
You’ll need to be able to prove your identity if you’re applying for a copy of
your birth certificate.
What ID you need to show depends on whether you lodge your application in person or by mail. To see the list of ID you need to provide, visit: Queensland Birth Certificates
How long does it take to get a copy of your certificate?
- If you applied by post: 10 business days.
- If you applied in person at the Brisbane registry office: by 2:30pm the next business day.
- If you applied in person at a Government Access Centre: 5 business days.
- If you applied at a Magistrate’s Court: 2 business days.
If you need your certificate urgently, like for a passport application, you can pay an urgent processing fee of $25 and get it:
- If you applied by post: within 2 business days
- If you applied in person at the Brisbane registry office: within 3 hours, or the next business day if you apply after 1:30pm
- If you applied in person at a Government Access Centre: within 2 business days
- If you have applied at a Magistrate’s Court, you cannot get an urgent application. You will need to use one of the other options explained above.
I want to change my name on my birth certificate – how can I do this?
Please see our page on Changing your name .
If you’re under 25 and have a specific question about birth certificates, you can send us a Lawmail .
You may copy and use this fact sheet.