Become a Successful Final Expense Insurance Agent
4/19/15 7:06 PM
Every insurance agency hopes to find agents that are dedicated to their company and position, but being a successful final expense insurance agent takes commitment, hard work, and discipline.
You have a great opportunity to provide a much needed service to your clients as you work with them to come up with a plan to make their wishes known to their loved ones. Can you think of anything better than giving your clients peace of mind?
Our hope is to give you the resources, training, and the support you need to be confident in your approach when meeting with clients so you can give them a solid presentation.
Today, we’ll tell you why the final expense market is such a great market to be in, and how you can easily become a successful final expense agent with lead prospecting and organization.
Position Yourself to Become a Successful Final Expense Insurance Agent
You now know that the type of insurance you sell is for the sole purpose of helping your clients cover their expenses that occur around the time of death, or they may only include funeral and burial.
Depending upon the situation, this means that there could be expenses from:
- Doctor’s visits
- Hospital stays
- Probate court
- Other related expenses
Retirement age for these folks means that they are facing a new set of challenges, and planning for the end of their life can be daunting for them and their adult children.
The average cost of a funeral can run anywhere from $10,000 to $11,000 if not more. The need is there, but why choose this particular market?
- This is a huge market with millions of households identified as having the need for this insurance to help them cover their final expenses.
- Selling final expense insurance is relatively simple, and the sale’s process is quite simple.
- Prospects are very likely to respond to ads and direct mail pieces that are targeted to those with this need.
- The insurance is affordable and attractive to seniors and low-income families.
- There is a quick turnaround time for final expense insurance which means there is less time for a
client to consider cancelling the policy.
If this all sounds so easy, what else do you need to know in order to become a successful final expense insurance agent ?
- Don’t assume that because someone inquired about final expense insurance that they are going to buy. You still have the responsibility to educate the consumer and make the sale.
- You should read the information provided by the consumer that inquired. What is the problem that they need your help to solve? If you can help someone solve a problem, then you are in business. This is all about people, so pay close attention to the information they give you.
- Be organized. Organize leads that come into you by geographic location. Who is the closest to you? Know this information and you’ll be able to stay more organized.
- If you have leads that are coming in from seniors, you’ll be able to organize your appointment times. Most likely, seniors will want appointments that are during the day because they are at home and available.
- Set realistic expectations. If you get a specific number of leads each week or on average, you’ll be able to break down the amount of time in your week spent on making contacts, and setting appointments. Again, being organized can make your life easier and help you be more productive in you work.
There are only so many hours in a day, so make them count. Just to recap, your week will most likely look something like this.
- Follow up and follow through with leads
- Get to know your prospects and set appointments
- Focus on making a good presentation and hitting the points on affordability
- Take the application and close the sale
- Deal with objections as they arise
- Always solidify the sale by letting the prospect know they made a great decision
- Always ask for the referral
If you want to have success, it’s all about consistency. Following up and following through with your leads when they come in, and letting the prospect know that you are available to answer questions will open up the opportunity to build a relationship.
This is the heart of becoming a successful final expense insurance agent.