Missouri Revised Statutes
Legal Tender and Interest
- ←408.500 Section 408.505.1 408.506→
Term of loans, charges permitted, repayment, return check charge.
408.505. 1. This section shall apply to:
(1) Unsecured loans made by lenders licensed or who should have been licensed pursuant to section 408.500 ;
(2) Any person that the Missouri division of finance determines that has entered into a transaction that, in substance, is a disguised loan; and
(3) Any person that the Missouri division of finance determines has engaged in subterfuge for the purpose of avoiding the provisions of this section.
2. All loans made pursuant to this section and section 408.500. shall have a minimum term of fourteen days and a maximum term of thirty-one days, regardless of whether the loan is an original loan or renewed loan.
3. A lender may only charge simple interest and fees in accordance with sections 408.100 and 408.140. No other charges of any nature shall be permitted except as provided by this section, including any charges for cashing the loan proceeds if they are given in check form. However, no borrower shall be required to pay a total amount of accumulated interest and fees in excess of seventy-five percent of the initial loan amount on any single loan authorized pursuant to this section for the entire term of that loan and all renewals authorized by section 408.500 and this section.
4. A loan made pursuant to the provisions of section 408.500 and this section shall be deemed completed and shall not be considered a renewed loan when the lender presents the instrument for payment or the payee redeems the instrument by paying the full amount of the instrument to the lender. Once the payee has completed the loan, the payee may enter into a new loan with a lender.
5. Except as provided in subsection 3 of this section, no loan made pursuant to this section shall be repaid by the proceeds of another loan made by the same lender or any person or entity affiliated with the lender. A lender, person or entity affiliated with the lender shall not have more than five hundred dollars in loans made
pursuant to section 408.500 and this section outstanding to the same borrower at any one time. A lender complies with this subsection if:
(1) The consumer certifies in writing that the consumer does not have any outstanding small loans with the lender which in the aggregate exceeds five hundred dollars, and is not repaying the loan with the proceeds of another loan made by the same lender; and
(2) The lender does not know, or have reason to believe, that the consumer's written certification is false.
6. On a consumer loan transaction where cash is advanced in exchange for a personal check, a return check charge may be charged in the amounts provided by sections 408.653 and 408.654, as applicable.
7. No state or public employee or official, including a judge of any court of this state, shall enforce the provisions of any contract for payment of money subject to this section which violates the provisions of section 408.500 and this section.
8. A person does not commit the crime of passing a bad check pursuant to section 570.120 if at the time the payee accepts a check or similar sight order for the payment of money, he or she does so with the understanding that the payee will not present it for payment until later and the payee knows or has reason to believe that there are insufficient funds on deposit with the drawee at the time of acceptance. However, this section shall not apply if the person's account on which the instrument was written was closed by the consumer before the agreed-upon date of negotiation or the consumer has stopped payment on the check.
9. A lender shall not use a device or agreement that would have the effect of charging or collecting more fees, charges, or interest than allowed by this section, including, but not limited to:
(1) Entering into a different type of transaction;
(2) Entering into a sales lease back arrangement;
(3) Catalog sales;
(4) Entering into any other transaction with the consumer that is designed to evade the applicability of this section.
10. The provisions of this section shall only apply to entities subject to the provisions of section 408.500 and this section.
Category: Payday loans