In 2009, Android enthusiasts got their first tastes of Cupcake and Donut. At that time, I predicted all of the Android OS names from E through Z. suggesting that K would stand for Kiwi rather than the rumored Key Lime Pie and eventual/actual KitKat. With Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jellybean, and Kit Kat now in the books – just for fun – I’m revising my predictions.
Actual names in Green. former predictions in Red. new predictions in Black.
- Eclair (Eclair)
- Froyo (Frosting)
- Gingerbread (Gelato)
- Honeycomb (Honey)
- Ice Cream Sandwich (Icing)
- Jellybean (Jelly)
- Kit Kat (Kiwi)
- Lollipop (or Lemon Meringue Pie) (Lemon)
- Marshmallow (Marshmellow)
- Nougat [Noodle (Nerds would be hilarious)]
- Oreo (or Oatmeal Cookie) Orange (Oreo would be better!)
- Peppermint (or Popsicle, but I’d prefer PayDay) (Pudding)
- Queen Cake [Quince (White men can’t jump / Jeopardy!)]
- Rocky Road (or Reese’s Pieces) [RockyRoad (uhoh, bad foreshadowing!)]
- Strawberry Shortcake (or Sorbet, or Somosa for a nod to India) (Sundae)
- Twinkee (or Twizzler) Taffee (Twinkee!)
- UDC UDC (upside-down-cake)
- Vanilla (Vanilla)
- Waffle Cone (or Wedding Cake as Android and Chrome Merge, but would love to see
a Willy Wonka Bar) (Waffle)
- Xmas Cookies (or maybe XiBing which is Chinese depending on the status of Microsoft’s Bing) Xmas Cookies?
- Yogurt (Yogurt)
- Zebra Cake (Zebra Cake)
I’ve got a pretty good track record! Successfully guessing Eclair and getting the first parts of H, I, and J with Honey, Icing, and Jelly isn’t bad at all. Now that we know Google’s naming tradition a bit more intimately, I want to make sure I cast my ballot ahead of time so I can again say, “told ya so!”
I was most torn between L and P. Given that Google passed on “Key Lime Pie” I figured they were saving a “Pie” for elsewhere in their list. That would suggest Lemon Mirangue Pie, but a lollipop seems too perfect for an Android statue. And aren’t a lollipop statue and popsicle statue too similar in stature and alphabet to use them both? Obviously, I’m over-thinking this, but I bet the Google team goes even more in depth!
For quite obvious reasons, X, Y, and Z seem the most difficult. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few non-English desserts tossed into the mix.
Post your own guesses in the comments!
Auto-load comments: Off On
Category: Payday loans