PDF files may be viewed on a large array of devices and Internet browsers, however, the steps in saving them are not exactly the same. These general guidelines should help you save a downloaded PDF file on most types of media.
Note: The first thing you'll need to do is ensure that you have a PDF file reader program installed on your computer. Adobe has a free reader available on their website.
Saving a PDF from a web page
- Click the link or Icon representing the PDF file. Depending on your Internet browser and the settings for the PDF reader program, the PDF file may automatically download and open in your browser. If you receive a prompt for opening or saving the PDF file instead, skip to step 4.
- As you move your mouse cursor over the document, a small toolbar should appear.
- Once you've located the toolbar, click the icon that looks like a computer diskette to save the file. If the toolbar is not available or visible, look in your browser's File menu (press the Alt key to make the menu bar visible) or the Tools menu options (usually accessible by clicking an icon
near the top right of the browser window) for a Save as or Save page as option.
- A window should appear, prompting you to specify the location in which you'd like to save the file. Selecting the Desktop option makes it easy to find the PDF file later.
- If you like, you may rename the file at this point. If not, skip this step.
- Click Save or Ok to save the PDF file.
Tip: You can try these steps now using our Example PDF link .
Note: Some browsers open PDF files without downloading them. If you are unable to see the Disk icon, look for a Download option instead. Once the file is downloaded, a save option should appear.
Saving a PDF directly from the reader
If the PDF file is already open in the PDF reader program or a PDF form is filled out, you should be able to save that file within the program. For example, in Adobe Reader, a computer diskette icon is available in the toolbar located near the top of the program window, as shown in the image to the right. Clicking this icon saves the file.
Category: Personal Finance