Are you registered as a taxpayer? You need to be in order to use TaxTim.
Either you or your employer would have registered you and you would have been issued with a 10-digit tax reference number from SARS.
You may have an IT150 Notification of registration (see below) that states your reference number.
If you have an IRP5 or payslip from your employer, your tax reference number may appear there.
If you think you *might* have a tax number but aren't sure, rather phone SARS at 0800 00 7277 to check.
If you have not registered then the process is easy:
- Simply click here to download the IT77 form. print it out and follow these easy steps to completing it.
- A certified legible copy of your ID, passport or drivers license. Certification of copied documents can be done at your nearest police station (just remember to take the original along too).
- Proof of address (this can be a rates bill, utilities bill, phone bill, bank statement etc - anything that shows your name and your address on an official letterhead)
- 3 months banks statements, original and stamped by the bank.
- Page 1 requires you to enter in all your personal details. Be as up-to-date and accurate as you can to avoid having to repeat any of this information if SARS requires it. If you don't know what a VDP agreement is then just mark the No box under the Voluntary Disclosure Programme section. Remember to sign this page with your signature.
- Page 2
requires you to enter the details of your tax practitioner, if you are using one. TaxTim is not a tax practitioner so do not enter our details here. Your employer's details are also required on this page. If you have an existing IRP5 then you should be able to find the details there.
- Page 3 asks you to describe the details of your income and where it comes from. To estimate your taxable income for the year, please see our income tax calculator and look for the "taxable income" portion. Note that this should be an estimate. When describing the source of your income, enter dates values in YYYYMMDD format e.g. 20130301 (for 1st March 2013). The Gross Amount is your total income before any deductions have been subtracted. Page 3 also requests the details of any partners that you are in a partnership with to earn an income. Please see the definition of a partnership .
- Page 4 asks about your Estate details. This page does not apply to you as an individual - ignore it!
- Page 5 contains information about what documents you may / may not need. There is nothing to complete here.
If you prefer, you can post these documents to the postal address of your nearest office instead.
SARS should get back to you with your new tax number within a maximum of 10 days. You may receive your tax number by post some time after that in the form of an IT150 / Notification of registration (see below). If you prefer to call them (0800 00 7277) to find out what the current status is, remember to have your reference number with you for the call. Register with TaxTim now and we will help you through the next steps of becoming tax compliant.