- Go to the DVLA Car Lookup Tool - click the underlined words in blue to get started, this will open in a new window.
- On the left hand side click 'Start Now'
- Enter the registration number and select the manufacturer of the car
- Click search and you'll be presented with the information that the DVLA hold on that car, plus the Vehicle Excise Duty rate (road tax, car tax - whatever you choose to call it) for 6 or 12 months.
Now, having completed that, it's worth knowing that there are literally hundreds of new and used cars with annual road tax of less than ВЈ110 - some are completely free from road tax! What's more, all new cars which fall into bands A to D (up to 130 Co2 g/km) have free road tax for the first year. Here's some of our most popular pages to get you started if you're looking for a new car with lower road tax:
- Road Tax Bands . Our explanation of how the A to M banding system works
- First Year Road Tax . Our explanation of the First Year road tax for brand new cars
- Road Tax 2015 . A simple to follow table of prices for road tax based on emission levels
- Band A Cars . A list of all new cars which have Free First Year & FREE annual road tax under current legislation
- Band B Cars
. A list of all new cars which have Free First Year & ВЈ20 annual road tax under current legislation
- Band C Cars . A list of all new cars which have Free First Year & ВЈ30 annual road tax under current legislation
- Band D Cars . A list of all new cars which have Free First Year & ВЈ110 annual road tax under current legislation
- Free Road Tax . A list of all new cars which have FREE first-year road tax (ie all in bands A to D)
How much is my road tax?
If you're trying to find out how much your Road Tax will be this year then there are 2 ways to do this: Firstly. if you know the Co2 emissions of your car then simply use our Road Tax Prices article. You'll find the emissions data for your car on your V5C document (log book) - click here for an example of where to find it. Secondly, if you know the number plate and manufacturer of the car in question then you can use the DVLA car lookup tool by following these steps:
The key date of relevance in terms of road tax payable is March 1st 2001 so every car with a registration date of 01 onwards is now subject to the current road tax bandings. Please note, Band K also includes cars that have CO2 emissions over 225g/km but were registered before 23rd March 2006.