By Randy Duermyer. Home Business Expert
Question: How do I file an amended tax return?
Continue Reading Below
But how do you go about correcting your return and what deadlines do you need to worry about?
First, if you discover that you made math errors or left out certain forms or schedules, the IRS asks that you NOT file an amended tax return. The IRS service center may correct errors in math on a return and may accept returns with certain forms or schedules left out. However, if your filing status, your income, your deductions or your credits were in error, you ARE required to file and amended tax return using Form 1040X .
- Form 1040
- Form 1040A
- Form 1040EZ
- Form 1040NR (PDF), or
- Form 1040NR-EZ
Some points you'll want to keep in mind:
- If you are filing to claim an additional refund. Wait until you get the original refund (go ahead and cash the check).
- If you owe additional tax. File Form 1040X and pay the tax by April 15 of the following year (or the next business day if April 15th happens to fall on a weekend or a legal holiday). The Form 1040X Instructions list the addresses for the service centers where your amended return needs to be sent.
Continue Reading Below
- Be sure to indicate the year of
the return you are amending on the front of Form 1040X.
- File a separate Form 1040X for each year you are amending. Mail each form in a separate envelope.
In order to claim a refund, you must file Form 1040X within 3 years from the date of your original return or within 2 years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.
What to Include with Form 1040X
- Attach copies of any forms or schedules that are being changed as a result of the amendment including any W-2 form(s) you received after you filed the original return.
- You do not need to attach newly received or corrected 1099-MISCs as you were not required to attach them to your original return. Employers are required to file informational copies of 1099s direct to the IRS.
The IRS says that normal processing time for Form 1040X is 8 to 12 weeks from the date they receive it.
You can get any necessary tax forms by calling 800-829-3676 or by downloading from the IRS website at www.irs.gov
Amending a State Tax Return
If you owe income taxes to your state, it's likely that when you file Form 1040X to amend your federal tax return that you'll have to amend your state tax return as well. State requirements vary, but typically follow federal IRS rules. The IRS provides links for every state website at: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=99021,00.html