You can request an IRS tax return transcript online, by telephone and by mail or fax. The simple instructions for each are below.
- Available on the IRS web site at www.irs.gov .
- Under Tools click "Get Transcript of Your Tax Records."
- On the next page, click the blue button that says, "Get Transcript Online."
- On the next page, click, "Create an Account."
- Follow steps 1-6 to verify your personal information and create an account.
- Once logged in, click on applicable tax year to open "Tax Transcript in PDF" and print.
- Available from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their social security number and street address.
- Select "Option 2 " to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and then enter "2013."
Paper Request Form - IRS 4506T-EZ:
- IRS form 4506T-EZ should be used instead of 4506T because it is the simplest way to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- Download the IRS Paper Tax Return Transcript Request form .
- Fill out the form completely. Note that Line 5 provides tax filers with the option to have their IRS Tax Return Transcript mailed directly to a third party by the IRS.
- On Line 6, enter "2013" to receive
IRS tax information for the 2013 tax year that is required for the 2014-2015 FAFSA.
- The tax filers (or spouse if requesting information from a joint tax return) must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number. Only one signature is required to request a transcript for a joint return.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506T-EZ to the appropriate address or fax number provided on page 2 of Form 4506T-EZ.
When requesting a tax return online or by telephone, the option of having the transcript mailed directly to a third party is not available. This option is only available with the paper request form.
When filling out the tax filer's address, use the address currently on file with the IRS. Generally this will be the address that was listed on the last tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive their transcript within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives and processes their request. NOTE: processing form 4506T-EZ means verifying/validating the information provided on the form. If any information does not match IRS records, the IRS will notify the tax filer that it was not able to provide the transcript.