Latest posts by Tygerr (see all )
Let’s face it, no one wants to have dirty, nasty, filthy looking nails. It would be outstanding if we could all afford to go to the salon for a weekly mani/ pedi so it’s easy to skip over the fact that painting your nails yourself is sometimes quite difficult and time consuming. For me it is very therapeutic. It’s sort of like working out, it’s ME time and it helps me channel the aggression. It took me several months to get good at painting and filling my own nails so don’t worry if they aren’t perfect the first few times. They will get better each time you do them.
There is an art to learning how to paint your own nails without wearing half the nail polish on you hand, clothes, or spilled over the place and/or the spill entire bottle trying to dip it back in the bottle to get more polish. I know as I still do it to this day sometimes :)
Here are 11 easy steps on how to make you an expert at painting your own nails. But never forget this as anything you undertake concerning all beauty applications takes lots and lots of practice to master so don’t get frustrated it will come in time. Just do the best you can as you will only get better and don’t worry about what others may say. In the immortal words of Ru Paul “If they aint’t paying your bills, don’t you pay them no mind.” So be patient with your self and stay in your comfort zone as far as colour choice and nail shape to start with. Nail style, colour and shape is ultimately a personal preference. You may go through many looks before deciding which one suits you best, so try it all. That’s what makes this industry so amazing, nothing is off limits so go crazy and cut loose. Some of the most beautiful nail designs I have ever seen have been done on the shortest of nails. One thing is for sure, do your nails the way want YOU want. Give them whatever shape that suits your personal style and remember you are only as FIERCE as you think you are! So without further, here are 11 easy steps to follow to get the perfect paint job every time.
1. Choose a nail polish in the color of your choice. Bring it to your manicure area/table. If you would like, you can choose a sticker (nail art) to put on your nails. There are hundreds to choose from.
2. Gather some cotton balls, then use an orange wood stick . nail polish remover, towel, newspaper, and clear nail polish. Paint your nails in a well-ventilated room. The fumes can be extremely dangerous to your health.
3. Take off any old polish. If you have any that is, especially if it’s chipped. If you don’t have any nail polish on, then
swipe some nail polish remover over your nails before you begin painting, to get rid of any natural oils on your nails. This will keep the color smooth and help the color last longer.
4. Rub the bottle between your hands to warm the nail polish for about 25-30 seconds. Open it, and scrape some of the excess polish off on the side of the bottle. Don’t shake it. Rolling the bottle keeps bubbles out of the polish and keep your nails smooth.
5. Apply one coat of clear nail polish (base polish works best !). Allow it to fully dry to the touch before proceeding. It’s okay if some of the color gets on your skin. Nobody will be able to tell since there’s no color!
6. Paint one stripe of color in the middle of your thumb or pinky nail. Then, paint a stripe on the left, continuing to the right. This subtly focuses the color in the middle of the nail. Remember to keep your hand steady. Don’t worry if it looks too thin — it’s supposed to. Re-dip your brush into the bottle before starting the nail so the color is evenly distributed throughout your nails. Let it dry completely before adding your last coat. You may have to wait 10-20 minutes, so you may want to turn on your television or some music.
7. Add another coat of color if desired, depending on the shade of color you want. Bear in mind that if you want a color very similar to the bottle you should paint two coats, but if you want a lighter shade then skip to the next step. Let this dry. Remember that the top coat is the one everyone will see, and the one that you’ll feel. Keep that coat smooth!
8. Paint a last coat of clear polish to keep the color lasting for at least one more week. This seals and protects the color.
9. Wait for your nails to dry completely before doing anything else. You can watch TV while you wait. Try not to wave your arms or shake your wrists frantically in an attempt to dry your nails. This can tone down the shine in your nails. Enjoy your freshly done nails!
10. Place a sticker on your nails gently. It’s recommended that if you are going to do them on your thumbs to put it on the side of your thumb nail that you can see when you put your hand down flat.
11. Get fabulous. If you want textured and fashionable nails to suit the glamours style for 2013, then put on a base coat and sprinkle some sugar on, this makes them look like you have had a REALLY expensive job done on them because the sugar turns into little crystals all over the nail and leaves a shimmering finish. And it comes off just like normal nail polish!
Thank you to Wikihow.com for providing the 11 step guide.