A serious and dangerous problem facing all mankind is global warming. If you love your planet and want to save it for the future generations, it is important one learns how to stop global warming. Yes, it is possible, if every person on the planet did their bit to save the world.
What is Global Warming?
Global warming refers to the increase in average temperature of the earth, particularly at the lower atmosphere due to the abundant increase of greenhouse gases. This is primarily due to the human's intervention and the lifestyle they have adopted in the recent years.
Greenhouse gases in its natural content in the atmosphere are required, for it acts as a greenhouse around the earth. It allows the sun's rays to pass through the atmosphere but doesn't let it to escape and creates a surrounding suitable for life. Life cannot exist without green house gases like carbon dioxide, water vapor, methane, etc. but they should be existing in permissible quantities only. The problem of global warming arises when people started contributing abundant amount of green house gases which traps more heat in the atmosphere thus increasing the temperature.
Burning of fossil fuels like gasoline, coal, natural gas, etc. all contributes to the rise in levels of harmful gases such as carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, etc. in the atmosphere. This tends to heat up the earth, slowly destroy life on earth. In order to prevent loss of life on earth, one needs to take precautions to reduce global warming effects.
Ways to Stop Global Warming
Owing to the overall rise in the temperature, the glaciers in the Antarctic region begin to melt which has increased the overall sea level. If this situation continues, many low-lying areas will submerge in the near future. Global warming also increases the occurrences of hurricanes.There are many easy solutions to reduce global warming and its impact. First of all, people should understand the problem and take measures accordingly to save the world.
- People should reduce the usage of electrical appliances which emits green house gases. For e.g. the refrigerator releases chlorofluro carbon (CFC) and the incandescent light lamp emits 300 pounds of carbon dioxide a year. This can be replaced by a compact fluorescent light bulb which saves much energy.
- Follow RRR - R educe, R euse, R ecycle. People should not dump waste products on the ground. Plant products, food waste, vegetable dump undergoes anaerobic decomposition i.e. they break down to produce methane, a green house gas instead of oxygen. Hence the product usage and wastage should be reduced or recycled for a healthy atmosphere.
- Trees absorb a large amount of carbon dioxide. Many trees should be planted since they involve in photosynthesis, food preparation with the help of sunlight. During this process, trees absorb carbon dioxide and exhale oxygen. Also, existing forests should be saved
and usage of plant byproducts shouldn not be wasted.
- Usage of green power prevents 300 kg of carbon dioxide to be emitted into the atmosphere. The electricity obtained from the renewable resources like wind and water is called green power. The cost is also low in case of green power.
- Insulation of the ceiling of a house and power saving is the important factor to reduce global warming. The electric appliances should be switched off instead to hold it in stand by mode. This will save more power since stand by mode consumes 40% of the energy.
- People should use only energy-efficient appliances. Thermostat should be used for air conditioners since it reduces the temperature automatically.
- Consumption of organic food should be increased because organic soil absorb large amount of carbon dioxide. Buying local food reduces the consumption of fuel. Cows emits a large amount of methane due to their vegetarian diet. Hence meat consumption should be reduced. Also tetra packs should be used instead of tinned food.
- Cover cooking utensils when cooking. Covering food when cooking helps reduce the loss heat and thus, save a lot energy when cooking. You should use more of pressure cookers and steamers as they help save energy up to 70% when cooking.
- Periodic maintenance of the vehicles helps in efficient usage of fuel and reduces release of green house gases. Proper inflation of tires should be done and fuel wastage should be avoided.
- You should wash clothes or dishes in washing machines or dishwashers only when they are full. Do not use machines to wash a few clothes and utensils. If you wash a big load together, you will save a lot of water, electricity as well as energy.
- Dry clothes on a clothes line only. Do not use dryers whenever possible as it will help reduce the amount of carbon dioxide released in the atmosphere. Air dried clothes help minimize the loss energy as well.
- Teach your neighborhood and friends about the cause and impact of global warming and methods to reduce it. Conservation of forests is also important for this purpose. Plant more trees and reduce the amount of paper used at homes and offices. Remember, every paper wasted, means 5 trees cut for nothing!